Mobilizing fat or protein for energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sniderwes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My book says this is a key function of the liver. But doesn't this occur in all other cells too? Burning fat and protein?

Members don't see this ad.

Amino acids at least need to undergo a transamination reaction to an alpha ketoglutarate. Different amino acids have specific enzymes to perform this.
For example Tyrosine requires Tyrosine aminotransferase which catalyzes the conversion of tyrosine to 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate. And that enzyme is found in the liver.
A Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine_aminotransferase

The book may be referring to concentration of enzymes that perform those functions.

Saying fat and protein metabolism is a key function of the liver does not mean that only the liver can perform that function.

Amino Acids go to liver through cori cycle to generate glucose, and fats go through b-oxidation in the liver. I always think liver, when I think fats, IDK why? Unless youre taking the 2015 Mcat, all you need to know is that fats = liver, protein = intestinal brush border enzymes, carbohydrates = all cells ( I think).