MOC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xrt123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I logged into my ABR profile and have a 340$ fee waiting for me. Does anyone know why and if I need to pay this? I would directly ask the ABR but frankly I am worried that if I start to question their power I will get audited for MOC (which is apparently an actual thing that can happen in the future).

Members don't see this ad.

I logged into my ABR profile and have a 340$ fee waiting for me. Does anyone know why and if I need to pay this? I would directly ask the ABR but frankly I am worried that if I start to question their power I will get audited for MOC (which is apparently an actual thing that can happen in the future).
It's your annual protection payment... I mean dues

Check your email from around early Jan:

Dear ABR Diplomate:

Your 2019 annual billing statement is now available on the myABR Payments page. Payment of your annual fee is due by March 1, 2019, and must be made online through your password-protected myABR account. You can access myABR by logging in at https://myabr.theabr.org/login.

Prior to paying your invoice, please determine if your practice is participating in the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Whole Practice Discount program and will be submitting payment on your behalf. For information on the MOC Whole Practice Discount, go to www.theabr.org and click on your specialty, then Maintenance of Certification. You will find information on the MOC Team Tracker page, which is linked in the left sidebar.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
only directly applies to abIM, not abR -- but it sets a precedent.

Should the plaintiffs win, I know a lot of people that will, rightfully so, pursue a similiar case against the ABR.

your honor today we will be adjudicating the case of SDN Rad Onc Message Board Vs. The American Board of Radiology

Reactions: 2 users
Crazy. When I did my cowboy walk out of Louisville I had no idea I would be giving them 340$ a year to the ABR afterwards. Well someone get the name of that lawyer if they get some justice form the ABIM.

Crazy. When I did my cowboy walk out of Louisville I had no idea I would be giving them 340$ a year to the ABR afterwards. Well someone get the name of that lawyer if they get some justice form the ABIM.

Honestly what choice do we have whether it's $340 or $3400 or whatever it may be?

I'm a bit worried about this new OLA paperwork that is due to be rolled out by them next year.

Honestly what choice do we have whether it's $340 or $3400 or whatever it may be?

Could stop paying. If no one fed into this BS, it would stop. I'm still unclear how this extortion has gone on for so long.

Sure way to lose insurance and hospital privileges.

Could stop paying. If no one fed into this BS, it would stop. I'm still unclear how this extortion has gone on for so long.

Reactions: 1 users
Should the plaintiffs win, I know a lot of people that will, rightfully so, pursue a similiar case against the ABR.

That's hard to believe given the recent board examination boondoggle by the ABR where they basically went unchecked in their abuse of power other than a few sternly written letters.

However, what the boards are doing is clearly racketeering, and I do believe it will eventually come to an end.

Legal Definition of racketeering
1 : the extortion of money or advantage by threat or force

If you stopped paying and lost your board certification, then you would most likely lose your job. This is why the above legal definition is precise in regards to what the ABR is doing with MOC.

I am not a lawyer, but if there was ever a clear-cut RICO suit, this would be it. If you want to stay in business and earn a living - Pay up! I don't see how it could be anymore textbook definition of racketeering unless Valerie Jackson and Paul Wallner showed up at your office with a crowbar and brass knuckles.

Sure way to lose insurance and hospital privileges.

Thanks for clarifying. I did not realize that was what would happen. I thought people paid because they were afraid of being physically beaten.

If 10% stopped paying and brought suit, this would change. Especially now. I know that much.

That's hard to believe given the recent board examination boondoggle by the ABR where they basically went unchecked in their abuse of power other than a few sternly written letters.

However, what the boards are doing is clearly racketeering, and I do believe it will eventually come to an end.

Legal Definition of racketeering
1 : the extortion of money or advantage by threat or force

If you stopped paying and lost your board certification, then you would most likely lose your job. This is why the above legal definition is precise in regards to what the ABR is doing with MOC.

I am not a lawyer, but if there was ever a clear-cut RICO suit, this would be it. If you want to stay in business and earn a living - Pay up! I don't see how it could be anymore textbook definition of racketeering unless Valerie Jackson and Paul Wallner showed up at your office with a crowbar and brass knuckles.

If 10% stopped paying and brought suit, this would change. Especially now. I know that much.

Well what are you going to do about it?

Maybe the residents can write another letter and complain on SDN some more.

What's stopping you, personally, from calling up the firm the IM guys are using RIGHT NOW?

Original quoted post was deleted by mod. No personal attacks or swearing allowed. Keep it professional.

I'm not stopping you from anything. I'm on your side. If there was a well-organized movement with a fund to contribute to like the IM one (Click here to support Practicing Physicians of America organized by Westby G. Fisher), then I would gladly contribute.

However, I'll be honest. I'm just starting my career. I'm not in a place where I can make myself the poster child for this movement and dedicate the necessary time or resources, and even if I were, I'm not the right personality for it as a little nobody new grad.

Maybe you are? Put up or shut up, pot calling the kettle black, etcetera.
You can yell lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit all day long hoping it will motivate someone else will do the groundwork. Is that better than doing nothing and just quietly paying the MOC fees? I don't know.