molality - freezing point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so if i have a certain solute, and i put the same amount of it into water and acetic acid, with acetic acid having a greater freezing point change, i have to look at both of the molalities to see which one dissociates more? i was confused i guess because i thought (with the same solute) i could just look at the freezing point change and use that to determine how much better it dissociates in one solvent compared to another

Members don't see this ad.

so if i have a certain solute, and i put the same amount of it into water and acetic acid, with acetic acid having a greater freezing point change, i have to look at both of the molalities to see which one dissociates more? i was confused i guess because i thought (with the same solute) i could just look at the freezing point change and use that to determine how much better it dissociates in one solvent compared to another

The equation ΔTf = Kf · mB measures the freezing point depression as a function of the molality and a constant related to the solvent. To determine which solvent dissolves the solute most, you could calculate the freezing point depression for each solution, using the appropriate molalities, and the greatest freezing point depression would result from the solvent which dissolves the solute more.