wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I have searched time and again but I cannot get a clear answer: I am signed up for molecular bio. Is this necessary for med school and is it advantageous to take it now for help with med school/boards? Thanks

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
it isnt necessary and it may or may not help you. if you want to take it, do. it definitely isn't going to hurt you.

OP
wjs010

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So, there is no molecular bio in med school?

Moose A Moose

7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have searched time and again but I cannot get a clear answer: I am signed up for molecular bio. Is this necessary for med school and is it advantageous to take it now for help with med school/boards? Thanks
There'll be as much mol bio as biochem. It'll come in handy for med school, mcat prep, and to a smaller fraction boards. Go for it.

OP
wjs010

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
There'll be as much mol bio as biochem. It'll come in handy for med school, mcat prep, and to a smaller fraction boards. Go for it.
Thanks. I already took the mcat and don't need to retake. As long as there is something good that will help for med school I'll take it.

WhovianDO

Allons-y
Oct 6, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Thanks. I already took the mcat and don't need to retake. As long as there is something good that will help for med school I'll take it.
At my med school, molecular bio is included under biochem (as is genetics). If you are choosing between mol bio and biochem.. go biochem (I was a mol bio major). Mol bio will help a little anyway.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, there is no molecular bio in med school?
There's some. You'll probably have one med school test with a decent amount molecular biology, but not much. There will be a few questions on boards about it, but few. You probably won't every use it in medical practice unless you doing something like path, rad/onc, or oncology. Even then, it's not like you need to know that much molecular biology. All you need to know is if you have a patient with adenocarcinoma of the lung, for example, is that you need to order a molecular test for ALK, egfr, and kras.

OP
wjs010

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks a lot people. I would totally take biochem or immunology, but it is not being taught this qtr. I was very bummed because I felt like immunology was imperative to take. Oh well.

DrEnderW

5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Rishi Maze
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm biased because I was a molecular biology major and did years of molec bio research, but it's great for learning some methodology if you're interested in any basic science research down the road. It won't help like biochem, immuno, physio, or genetics would, but it's a very interesting and will reinforce and expand on a lot of biochem and genetics concepts.