1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Molecular Bio??

Discussion in 'Step I' started by hkny79, Dec 21, 2005.

1. hkny79

hkny79 Member
    7+ Year Member

So wuts the consensus, which is the best resource to use to study the Molecular biology section on the USMLE? just reading other SDN'ers experience on taking the boards..it seems like alot of them were unprepared for this section. is most of the molecular bio asked on the exams even covered in a traditional med school curriculum because i'm not even sure if we learned most of this stuff at our school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Short answer: HY Mol./Cell Bio.

Long answer: You're right, most medical curriculae don't cover molecular bio properly. In fact, if you read the preface in the HY book, the author states how this subject is unfortunately taught very disjointed in medical school. You'll get a little during biochem, a little during immuno/micro, etc, and never really develop a good grasp of the material.

I'm using the HY book. Hopefully that will be enough. G'luck.

4. buddindoc

buddindoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MY SCHOOL NEVER DID TEACH MOL BIO WELL OR BIO CHEM FOR THAT MATTER.
    so i had to study them on my own. i just finished reading everything once...and i kept going back to kaplan for more info.
    so i am doing it again now from the kaplan biochem book,googling anything i dont understand (look for animations ) and doing questions from pretest and qbook .qbank i am savin for the last coz i dont want to use up all the q,s and repeats kinda stick in your head.
    i am an img so i know how you feel.look for my posts with links and check this out
    http://www.dnai.org/a/index.html
    click on copying the code and putting it to gether
    pm me if u need more help
    b

5. hkny79

hkny79 Member
    7+ Year Member

doctorsaib, i plan on using HY mol./cell bio book also from the recommendations on here, but i was curious if that book is complete in preparing us for this section because i was reading that alot of test takers still didn't feel comfortable. so i'm curious to know how they felt about this section after studying from HY mol./cell bio.