molecular biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ooscubaoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is molecular biology necessary for pharmacy school? is it good to have a background in it? i'm taking it right now and so far i really hate this class. i thought biochemistry was bad, but i think molecular biology is soo complicated. it's either that or i have a really horrible professor who zooms through the material and assumes we know this material. I'm thinking of dropping, but USC requires this as a pre-req. help?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is important. The material is really interesting and you will definately build on what you learn when you are in pharmacy school. You probably just have a bad professor. Do you have someone who can help you get through the class?

a lot of pharmacy schools don't require molecular bio as a pre-req. I've taken molecular cell bio and i remember how tough it was.. you have my sympathies.. Probably the best preparation for pharmacy school is to do as well as you can in as many science classes as you can take, there is no easy way out!! but if you really can't stand molecular bio, there are definatly many other choices of schools which do not require it. best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your taking Molecular Biology at UCI, take it in the summer with Dr. Johnson. His tests aren't tricky, straight forward and he covers less material than if you would take it in the spring.

hey michelleca4,
i've decided to keep molecular biology this quarter. i'm actually taking senear/osborne combo. ahhh to tell you the truth, i had Dr. Johnson as my discussion TA for bio 97 (genetics) and he was horrible. i mean he had soo much love and energy for biology, but seriously i don't think he can teach. the reason im taking Senear/osborne for molecular biology instead of the other molecular biology class is because Dr. Johnson isn't TA-ing this course. i find out my midterm score in a couple of days, wish me luck guys!

I thought Dr. Johnson was horrible as a TA, but he suprised me when he taught Bio 99. His speciality is Bio 99, not 97 and 98. Abbot was horrible teaching 98 in the summer. She teaches better in Bio 97 during the summer.