moles!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nocallaochicas

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Ob/Gyn and Step 2 is forcing me to learn at least a little. I am stuck on moles. Complete moles. Since you folks know about these pregnancy things the most, I am asking for your help. If I should be asking in the USMLE forum, just let me know.

The Q/my problem: Robbins tells me that complete moles come from a sperm's haploid DNA developing in an empty egg. It then says, these completes can be 46, XX or 46, XY - all from sperm DNA from one duplicated haploid or two haploids from two sperm. What about one sperm's 23 Y DNA duplicating giving a complete mole of 46, YY? Why isn't that mentioned?

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding the genetics or if a 46, YY just doesn't "grow" past the "one cell" stage. Please help.
sincerely, the one called "nocallaochicas"

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, you understand this better than you think. Complete moles are formed by fertilization of a so-called "empty egg" (one which lacks maternal genetic material). The most common scenario is fertilization by a single sperm. Theoretically, this could result in a 46XX karyotype (based on duplication of a 23X sperm) or a 46YY karyotype (based on duplication of a 23Y sperm). However, the 46YY has never been reported and is presumed to be nonviable due to the absence of an X chromosome, which is believed to be necessary for survival. The less common scenario is fertilization of the "empty egg" by 2 sperm. Again, theoretically, this could be 46XX, 46XY, or 46YY. The 46XX would look just like a single-sperm mole on karyotype; the 46YY would not be viable because of the absence of the X; and the 46XY remains as the one everyone talks about - because if you have a 46XY complete mole it *had* to come from 2 sperm.

Hey - thanks.
The more I thought about it after posting, the more I realized it must be true that 46, YY just isn't viable. Thank you for confirming that. Textbooks should explain it; especially Robbins.
Again, thank you.
ncc