Medical Mom and Dad May Think You Have Good People Skills, But That’s Not Enough When It Comes to Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every year I am hired by re-applicants for medical school and residency who tell me that the year before they received multiple interview invitations, thought they performed well on interview day, but then were left with no offers in the spring.

This is the truth: Interviews are hard. You need to strategically respond to criticisms of your candidacy, showcase the strengths of your application, be prepared for awkward or even – sometimes – illegal questions, all while seeming fresh and enthusiastic.

There are applicants who spend months studying for their MCAT or Boards, but don’t spend even an hour practicing for their interviews. It’s a naive disconnect.

If you can mock interview with someone who has been on a medical school admissions committee for years or a faculty member who has strong experience with residency applications, go for it. If not, check out my mock interview services here. Don’t rely on a friend or family member with no experience.

Here is a funny, less-than-one-minute, stop-motion video to guide you on this topic.

Members don't see this ad.