mom eats son....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read this in the news, and there really isn't much point to this I guess except to say WTF and that I have the utmost respect for what you all do, and wonder how someone could possibly face someone like this to provide therapy...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3217192...ors-stunned-child-dismemberment/#.T8TUC5jpg20

Could also bring up interesting discussion about pleas like not guilty by reason of insanity vs guilty but mentally ill....

I don't know, someone was going to post it. It's just, wow.

Members don't see this ad.

Horrible story. If indeed the mom was suffering from postpartum psychosis ( not that any of us can diagnose this lady but these kinds of stories often do involve postpartum psychosis) then attempting therapy with a psychotic person probably wouldn't be very productive. I would expect therapy to be more useful after the mom was thinking clearly again and quite likely struggling with the horror of what she did. :(

I read this in the news, and there really isn't much point to this I guess except to say WTF and that I have the utmost respect for what you all do, and wonder how someone could possibly face someone like this to provide therapy...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3217192...ors-stunned-child-dismemberment/#.T8TUC5jpg20

Could also bring up interesting discussion about pleas like not guilty by reason of insanity vs guilty but mentally ill....

I don't know, someone was going to post it. It's just, wow.

The article is dated 2009...? Awful none the less.

Patient 0?

Members don't see this ad :)
totally missed the date.... someone posted it on fb and I just noticed it.

apparently there was a brief trial and prosecutors didn't contest insanity defense.

I couldn't cite the original article in the Texas Observer, but this was quoted in the comment section of another post and might be the most disturbing part of the whole thing, emphasis mine.

"Just six days before she killed her son, on July 20, Sanchez had met with a counselor at the obstetrics-gynecology clinic that ushered her through pregnancy. The counselor, Luinda Combs, could tell right away that Sanchez wasn't well. Sanchez spoke of delusional, paranoid thoughts that other women were trying to breastfeed her baby. She was "hearing voices which have informed her others would like to take her baby away," according to Combs' notes from that session. "Client also reports visual images of other children's faces transposed on her baby's face."

"Combs told Sanchez she needed an immediate psychiatric evaluation and called an ambulance to rush her to the hospital. The counselor wanted to make sure Sanchez wasn't mindlessly shuffled through a busy emergency room, so she called ahead to let Metropolitan Methodist Hospital's psychiatric unit know that Sanchez would soon arrive with a likely diagnosis of postpartum psychosis. Combs wrote in her notes that the "hospital worker did not want to take information over the phone." So she also gave "specific details of client's delusions and hallucinations" to the EMS workers to pass along to the hospital personnel.

"Combs' message about the severity of Sanchez's condition didn't quite get through. At the hospital, Sanchez would be diagnosed with visual hallucinations and audible voices, but nowhere in Sanchez's hospital records does the more alarming diagnosis Combs suspected—"postpartum psychosis"—appear.

"A little before 3 p.m., more than three hours after her arrival, Sanchez was finally examined by a member of the hospital's psychiatric team—not a psychiatrist, but a trained counselor. The evaluation lasted 44 minutes, and the records of that session show the seriousness of Sanchez's condition. She was experiencing "voices and hallucinations," according to hospital records, and "sees babies [sic] face change."

"Sanchez asked to be admitted to the hospital's 31-bed inpatient psychiatric unit. "[Patient] states she needs to be admitted for voices," according to the records. Inpatient treatment had worked for Sanchez before. During a similar crisis in 2008, she had been hospitalized for more than two weeks until her mental condition stabilized. Now she was asking for similar treatment."

Instead of admitting her though, Sanchez was sent home with the name of a clinic she could contact for outpatient services, though she was given no address or contact information. As sick as she was, she never made that appointment, and we all know the rest of the story."