Money Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical_studies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I go to a Caribbean Medical School, we have to take a CBSE before taking step 1. The CBSE was cancelled (COVID-19) and not sure when we will take it, but from observing previous semester students, it is looking like I won't start rotations until January in the best case scenario. We have a research paper to do to right after Step and before rotations that takes a couple months to grade and revise. I have maybe $17,000 but no car ($2500 budget) and am worried about running out of money before I get the first financial aid check for my next semester. Lastly, I wonder if tranferring would help if they allow us to take step before Sept., or would that hurt chances to match? Does anyone have any tips on this type of situation, maybe you had a similar situation with the Caribbean hurricane a few years ago? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like your stuck between a rock and a hard place, sorry about that. Unfortunately the big caribs won't take you without that Step 1 score and any of the ones that do would likely have you repeat a semester. Is the 17k only for daily expenses or does it include rent and whatnot? Not sure what your school is but I can guess; I would try talking with your admin to see if you can get a grad plus loan disbursement for August if it isn't maxed out already.

Thank you Gambino for taking the time to reply. I created the situation by eating at the school cafeteria like crazy. Your idea is a good idea though, I will talk with them. One thing I stupidly didn't think about while writing the post that just dawned on me is that, if I don't transfer, I can work after taking step 1, while writing the paper. That should put me in a comfortable postion. As for rent and food, I live with my parents and everything is free. It probably sounds a little selfish and short-sighted to say, but It's mentally hard to see that living situation going on for the next 7 months!

Also, I wonder if you do an 100% online masters, do you still get living expenses? That's probably a question I should call someone and ask. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you Gambino for taking the time to reply. I created the situation by eating at the school cafeteria like crazy. Your idea is a good idea though, I will talk with them. One thing I stupidly didn't think about while writing the post that just dawned on me is that, if I don't transfer, I can work after taking step 1, while writing the paper. That should put me in a comfortable postion. As for rent and food, I live with my parents and everything is free. It probably sounds a little selfish and short-sighted to say, but It's mentally hard to see that living situation going on for the next 7 months!

Also, I wonder if you do an 100% online masters, do you still get living expenses? That's probably a question I should call someone and ask. Thanks!
17k for 7 months with only daily expenses works out to over 2.4k a month bro unless you're eating at 5 star restaurants you should be able to live very well off that lol. I think you'd do yourself a favor of just focusing on step instead of trying to work but 7 months is too long for dedicated so why not but I think you should be back on your island to take comp by the coming term. Ross is saying that we should hopefully be back by September for the start of the next term.

As for the online masters thing, I believe you can take out living expenses but it depends on what the school shows as cost to financial aid. Don't forget our loans have interest to pay back on though.

Reactions: 1 user