money$$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebadguy1999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Since Derms are paid for procedures and are (generally) not salaried employees, pay will depend on location, connections, work hours, experience and not least business sense.
That being said, you'd probably be hard pressed to find Derms taking home less than $200,000. I personally know of people making in excess of $1.5 mill. The vast majority, obviously, will be somewhere in between. And yes, there'll be people making $800,000 too, but it's a tiny minority. Your average bracket would probably be in the $300,000 to $500,000 range, give or take.

PathOne said:
Since Derms are paid for procedures and are (generally) not salaried employees, pay will depend on location, connections, work hours, experience and not least business sense.
That being said, you'd probably be hard pressed to find Derms taking home less than $200,000. I personally know of people making in excess of $1.5 mill. The vast majority, obviously, will be somewhere in between. And yes, there'll be people making $800,000 too, but it's a tiny minority. Your average bracket would probably be in the $300,000 to $500,000 range, give or take.

Just out of curiousity... besides mohs surgery, what procedures does the typical dermatologist do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is pathone a derm resident or a path resident? As a future derm resident (July 1 can't come fast enough) I have to wonder. Contrary to the previous post, most derms are salaried and then get bonuses on top of salary (incentives) that are based on collections that are largely from procedures.

Dermatologists perform many procedures. Medical derms do a lot of biopsies of suspicious lesions, they inject steroids into keloids, they do infusions in the office of biologics for psoriasis such as Amevive, they do UVA and narrow band UVB therapy if they are equipped with light boxes and they do office surgery excisions for all sorts of lesions. Derms who focus more on cosmetics do botox, peels, lasers, fillers etc. There is the potential for tons of procedures in derm. It just depends where your interest lies.

Fair enough question. Actually I'm not a resident, but a dermatopathologist.

Re. income sources, it obviously depends on work setting, but generally speaking, even salaried Derms will have a variable component, as pointed out by clc17 - at least on the East Coast. Not really familiar with other parts of the US.

what area of medicine makes the most money

Your obsession with money is unsettling. At 14, I know you want to make big bucks and drive nice cars and have a summer house. Medicine is a long and tough road albeit most docs will acheive what I stated above, eventually. Doctors don't live the idealized life portrayed on TV. If you want to make good money early in your life get a degree in finance and go into the business world. You have a long way to go in this process and will hopefully talk to some doctors that will give it to you straight.

BrettBatchelor said:
Your obsession with money is unsettling. At 14, I know you want to make big bucks and drive nice cars and have a summer house. Medicine is a long and tough road albeit most docs will acheive what I stated above, eventually. Doctors don't live the idealized life portrayed on TV. If you want to make good money early in your life get a degree in finance and go into the business world. You have a long way to go in this process and will hopefully talk to some doctors that will give it to you straight.
i have no idea what ur talking about and i know alot of doctors and they make big cash i dont have and obsession with money its 50% of it and the other 50% is helping people and making something out of my life ohh these doctors do make cash the reason i ask is because if i have money ill be able to actually go on cool vacations and take my mom out of work

thebadguy1999 said:
what area of medicine makes the most money

If you 50% want to go into medicine for money I really can't change your mind, but I hope for your patients sake that you don't choose your specialty at 14 based upon which area makes the most money. Go through rotations and see which one you would enjoy doing on a daily basis.

I could tell you that CT surgeons make the most money, but I could also leave out the fact that they work a tough schedule. I could also tell you derm and rad onc are in the higher end of the salary spectrum and have a favorable lifestyle, but I could also leave out that they are the most competitive specialties to get into.

Your 14, it is good to set your sights on a goal but your most important one right now should be getting into a good college.

I think Brett has a point. The bottom line is, if you're smart enough to get into medical school, there are a lot of quicker and easier ways to get rich.

i dont care if there are other ways i want to be a doctor because the body facinates me but still i want to make enough to support a family get rich doing something i like

thebadguy1999 said:
i have no idea what ur talking about and i know alot of doctors and they make big cash i dont have and obsession with money its 50% of it and the other 50% is helping people and making something out of my life ohh these doctors do make cash the reason i ask is because if i have money ill be able to actually go on cool vacations and take my mom out of work

please use a period, comma, or some type of punctuation. your posts give me a f'n headache. by the way, the specialties that make the most money will most assuredly change by the time you are able to practice. worry about getting into college first.

clc17 said:
Dermatologists perform many procedures. Medical derms do a lot of biopsies of suspicious lesions, they inject steroids into keloids, they do infusions in the office of biologics for psoriasis such as Amevive, they do UVA and narrow band UVB therapy if they are equipped with light boxes and they do office surgery excisions for all sorts of lesions. Derms who focus more on cosmetics do botox, peels, lasers, fillers etc.

All of these things you've listed are things that can be done in the office. In fact as a surgery intern, I did about everything on your list except the UV therapy, and psoriasis things.

Are there any OR procedures that dermatologists do, other than MOHS?

PathOne said:

The mean take home salary plus bonuses for a dermatologist right out of residency is less than 200, guaranteed. Which would mean there are a whole lot making 150-180K range, at least initially. Maybe you are not substracting the cost of business? I want to state for the record that while there are people pulling down 1+ million in lots of fields, it is often, sadly very often as the result of fraud and other criminal enterprise. All the AMA, ABD, and management consulting numbers Ive seen show the mean after all expenses but before taxes for a working dermatologist at least 3 year out of training is 300, 500K/year would be less than 10% of the working FT boarded dermatologists (including likely mostly dermatopathology trained dermies).

LADoc00 said:
The mean take home salary plus bonuses for a dermatologist right out of residency is less than 200, guaranteed. Which would mean there are a whole lot making 150-180K range, at least initially. Maybe you are not substracting the cost of business? I want to state for the record that while there are people pulling down 1+ million in lots of fields, it is often, sadly very often as the result of fraud and other criminal enterprise. All the AMA, ABD, and management consulting numbers Ive seen show the mean after all expenses but before taxes for a working dermatologist at least 3 year out of training is 300, 500K/year would be less than 10% of the working FT boarded dermatologists (including likely mostly dermatopathology trained dermies).
Overall I agree with this although the shortage of dermatologists has sent starting salaries up significantly in many parts of the country.It is possible to earn the higher numbers in many specialties,its all a matter of how entrepreneurial you are-you dont have to be a criminal as many ligit doctors make these numbers, but most docs are not cut out to do what it takes. In terms of $$ there are more lucrative fields like rads & surgical specialties.The big draw of Derm is what you have to do to earn your income.. the level of stress,litigation,time needed to is lower than most specialties.

A dermatologist will always be in demand and they will always earn a great living 300K + but I don't see dermatologist earning the lucrative 500K + range. Sure, i know there are some dermatologists that earning far more than that but I think that is going to be a rare thing because the cosmetic aspect of dermatology is being eaten away by nearly everyone. Salons are performing laser resurfacing and microderm abrasions. Dentists are performing botox. OB/GYN are trying to add Spa like elements to their "women's health" features of their clinic. We are even seeing cosmetic skin franchises like Dermacare emerge and the people who run those centers do not even have to be physicians to qualify. The Dermacare that was opened near us is owned and ran by a former OB/GYN and his wife who was an internist. I mean, it is getting ridiculous how nearly everyone is practicing what was pretty much limited to dermatologists just 7 years ago.

The latest fad is family practice physicians and general internists who more or less market themselves as dermatologists. They don't have dermatology written anywhere in their ads but their practices are called Arizona Cosmetic Skin Rejuvenation Center or Bob's Skin Clinic. The lay public just assumes these people are dermatologists or skin experts because they have doctor in their title and they can prescribe medication. These doctors, more or less, are operating as dermatologists. Some may go so far as to take weekend courses and get some certificates in some vague dermatological organizations.

I think established and famous dermatologists will continue to rake it in but most new dermatologists will not find it so easy to start a niche because so many people are basically practicing as dermatologists. I just don't see dermatology as a field where you can get filthy rich like you could 10 years ago.

The money is still in specialized fields in surgery. That will always be there because you can't just replace those skills with some technician or hair stylist. I'm not a big surgery person but if someone wants to go into medicine for the money, i will point them in the direction of orthopedic surgery.