Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Im looking to apply to schools next cycle and was wondering between app. fees, traveling to each interview, after getting accepted costs of moving, etc....how much did each of you who are presently in school (or attending this fall) spent just to get into school. This would be really helpful to me since I want to start saving money for all this asap.

catchburns

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
The mistake by the lake
Status
Podiatry Student
Im looking to apply to schools next cycle and was wondering between app. fees, traveling to each interview, after getting accepted costs of moving, etc....how much did each of you who are presently in school (or attending this fall) spent just to get into school. This would be really helpful to me since I want to start saving money for all this asap.
It cost me about $700 per school I interviewed at so about $3500 for interviews when you include a flight, hotel, food, and a rental car. Then my seat deposit was $500. My moving truck (Penske is the cheapest) cost me $1000 plus it will be about $800 for gas and another $200 for hotels during our trip. I also had to pay for my wife and one of our kids to fly when we move so there goes another $500. Then if you factor in our first month's rent and deposit on the apartment we will have to pay for before we can move in I'll estimate that will be about $1500. So, I'd say all in all, before I ever step foot in my lecture hall at OCPM I'll be about $8000 poorer - it might be a bit less for those of you without families though.

Oh, I almost forgot the $275 for application fees.

I'd say having about $9-10K will leave you prepared.

Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
:scared:

umm......maybe ill go ahead and try the cycle after next......lol...WOW. glad i asked and thanks for the response...

catchburns

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
The mistake by the lake
Status
Podiatry Student
:scared:

umm......maybe ill go ahead and try the cycle after next......lol...WOW. glad i asked and thanks for the response...
Don't let the numbers scare you. At the very least apply to the two schools you are most interested in an go for it. It sounds like a lot but its going to be costly no matter when you do it.

Apr 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Podiatry
ya i know. I stay in texas and rent/cost of living is super cheap here. I pay 485 per month in my apartment and its all bills paid, fully furnished (and i live on the higher end of college apartments, some go as low as 350)

But im still going to apply, just need to narrow down school choices. I walked into undergrad with rose colored glasses on so not really wanting to do the same after grad. lol. so thats why i asked. thanks for the encouragement.

sorham

5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Des Moines
Status
Podiatry Student
For me it was about six hundred per school to go visit, I only visited my first choice school and decided to go there and did not visit the other two i applied to, some will say it wasn't smart to only visit one school, but hey I am on a budget and am very happy with my choice. It will be eight hundred plus gas to rent the truck to go out there this summer. I need to pay the deposit on the apartment we are moving into, 300. plus application costs and MCAT costs if you haven't taken that. I would say about 3000 for me maybe more for other misc moving charges, you can do it cheaper than catchburns depending on the amount of schools you apply to how far away you are moving from etc. Good Luck

air bud

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Land of the free
Status
Attending Physician
i obviously don't know your entire situation, but if money is the only thing holding you back from applying now, i would urge you to reconsider. If there are other reasons, ie you want some time off, not sure about podiatry, other issues... then fine. But, like I have mentioned before, you have 2 kidneys for a reason.

janV88

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
Louisville, KY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Application to all schools cost around $700 iirc.

I interviewed at Temple, NY, DMU, Scholl...in that order. Drove to all of them with the help of my parents. (I live in Chicago BTW).

Travel costs were probably around $500.

Food was probably $750...we indulged :D.

Hotel was free at Temple but we stopped over in Pittsburgh so it was $150, $300 at NY, $100 at DMU, $100 Scholl.

Total: ~$2600

Now you gotta ask yourself. Is $2600 that much when you will be delaying your career for 1 year? 1 year delay will cost you 1 year of income...think about it.

miller4362

8-)
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Podiatry Student
Personally, I used interviews as a series of mini vacations. Since you wont be traveling much over the next seven years its a good time to get around the country. All in all podiatry school is gonna end up costing you around $300,000 (50k a year + interest) so an extra 5k is insignificant. Especially if you can get into school a year earlier and get that extra year salary before retirement down the road. Its gonna make you sick at first but pretty soon youre one year in and 60k in debt and that 5k you spent on interviews doesnt matter so much anymore.

damhsoir

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2008
Chicago
Status
Podiatry Student
Application fees + MCAT=$500
Travel to OCPM=$20 in gas
Deposit to OCPM=$250
Gas/hotel/food for Scholl=$350 (thanks Mom!)
Deposit to Scholl=$500 (went towards tuition)
Moving to Chicago (gas, tolls, furnishing apartment)=$1000

My parents helped pay for a lot of the expenses because I only made a few hundred a month from my work study position.

I used my credit card to pay for the move and then paid it off with my first refund check.