Montefiore housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckhobbes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll be starting this july as an intern and looking for some advice on housing. bronx vs manhattan? i know most house staff live in the bronx, but if i don't get the montefiore subs housing, i'm not sure if i should live in the bronx still. i've heard that apartments in nicer areas of the bronx are comparable in price to upper east side/harlem.. also, i will be living w/a friend who will commute to Connecticut for work so being near the metro-north stations is ideal (monte housing is abt 10 min drive to the station). I figured it may be nice to be in manhattan 2nd and 3rd yrs when i have more time (and i want to minimize moving!). I know the commute will be longer but as long as its reasonable i'll be ok w/it.

any thoughts appreciated -- esp on where to live in bronx, manhattan, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

i'll be starting this july as an intern and looking for some advice on housing. bronx vs manhattan? i know most house staff live in the bronx, but if i don't get the montefiore subs housing, i'm not sure if i should live in the bronx still. i've heard that apartments in nicer areas of the bronx are comparable in price to upper east side/harlem.. also, i will be living w/a friend who will commute to Connecticut for work so being near the metro-north stations is ideal (monte housing is abt 10 min drive to the station). I figured it may be nice to be in manhattan 2nd and 3rd yrs when i have more time (and i want to minimize moving!). I know the commute will be longer but as long as its reasonable i'll be ok w/it.

any thoughts appreciated -- esp on where to live in bronx, manhattan, etc.

I've got a buddy at einstein. Let me see if I can get ahold of him and have him send you a PM.

me too please :laugh:

i'd also like to know where current monte residents live. how are the apartments that they offer?

living in the bronx - i heard that riverdale is a nice neighborhood?

Members don't see this ad :)
me too please :laugh:

i'd also like to know where current monte residents live. how are the apartments that they offer?

living in the bronx - i heard that riverdale is a nice neighborhood?

Most residents live in their housing since it's cheap and close (and decent). The rest live all over. I had friends who were Monte residents who lived everywhere from Brooklyn (FTR, that's completely insane...I commuted from Brooklyn to Monte for a month as a 4th year and it was ridiculous) to Manhattan to other parts of the Bronx to Westchester and Connecticut.

And yes, Riverdale is amazing. But, unless you drive, you can't get there from here. Plenty of people do live there and do drive but it's an added hassle.

Hi Folks!

I will also be PGY1 (internal medicine) at MMC and have similar questions, hoping for feedback from any current or recent residents there---how would you rank the housing (Monte I vs II vs Riverdale) and more importantly, what are my chances of getting housing? I am coming from out of state and would rather not invest in trips to the city to scout alternate housing if I can avoid it.

I would be really interested to know speak with someone via PM if someone can enlighten me on other need-to-knows about living and working there. For now my only other specific question is about Falk rec center---it looks like it has a nice pool, and they limit the number of memberships. Is it worth applying, or are there better options closer to the hospital?

Many thanks! Congrats to all incoming and graduating MMC residents!

Bump!
Do they rent their housing units to the prelims?

Bump!
Do they rent their housing units to the prelims?
The housing is fairly difficult to get into, but doable. They generally favor surgery residents. I knew 2 Surgery prelims last year that were initially denied, but were then granted housing at the last minute sometime in June. My advice is don't give up even if you are denied in July.
I know someone that just subleted a room for 1 month during July, and was then granted housing in early August. It's totally worth it.