Montefiore vs SUNY Downstate vs Maimonides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Rey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know things have changed for at least Montefiore and SUNY Downstate in the past year, so I was wondering for up to date info/opinions.

Also, is moonlighting available at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak to Downstate
Atmosphere in the program is not too bad, you won't work crazy hours, most of the calls outside of the trauma calls at Kings County tend to not be terrible (OB can be a crapshoot like the rest of the world). The residents are great, most of the attendings are good, a few can be difficult to work with but I assume thats the case everywhere. If you stay late past 5pm (hasn't happened to me since July when CA1s started) you get paid $50 an hour. Its a program where you will learn to be a competent general anesthesiologist, good experience in difficult airway cases. The current graduating class of residents did really well with fellowships, pain/cardiac well represented at big name programs. Average work week 50-60 hours as a CA1, decreases as you go on in training. Any questions feel free to PM me.

I believe Montefiore is getting a new PD from Cornell, but I could be mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then what is all this talk about SUNY Downstate being malignant? Do they really have tests monthly?