Month-long vacation, what to do with contact information?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drako

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am going to be traveling abroad for the month of June (tis be my vacation before school starts). I was wondering if anyone know anything about arranging contact for the schools that have you on the wait-list, schools that have yet to send you anything post-interview, and even schools that haven't sent you anything after secondaries but cashed your checks? The email I use for official matter is with my ISP (Pacbell-SBC). I don't think I could access this email account abroad. However, I could access my hotmail account. Generally, what should I do regarding this traveling plan as far as contact information is concerned? Any suggestions? Tks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

And while you guys are answering that, how do you notify schools of your address change in general after graduation? I will be moving back to my permanent address.

You can set up your hotmail account to check another pop account. I have never tried doing it from abroad, but I know my sister has been using her mail.com account like this while she has been in Israel.
As far as snail mail goes, I was just planning to have my mail forwarded to my permanent address.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drako, check for sure that you can't access your email from abroad. I had no problem accessing mine from Mexico. If you can't, have your provider forward to your hotmail account. But schools are so variable in how they contact you -- some via email, some snail mail, and some on status checking sites (I'll wager you know something about that :wink: ). I think I'd tend to contact all the schools you're waiting to hear from and find out what they recommend. Where do you get to go, anyway?

Foxy, I think you can still make changes on AMCAS, but I probably wouldn't risk it. I'd just write or email the schools that your permanent address will be your only address after a certain date. And, of course, as Suz suggests, make sure to have your mail forwarded. But I wouldn't want to rely on forwarded mail to hear back from schools post-interview!

Great question.

Hey Suz guess what I am going to Israel this June it is my graduation present.

Hopefully I will not have to worry about this med school stuff while i'm in Israel. I hope Pritzker accepts me before I go.

Thats awesome PelicanMan! I will be headed there in the end of May myself. I cannot wait!

I am traveling to Vietnam for a month long hike from South to North. I will have my Nikon and Mamiya with me for this trip and as much Juji Provia and Velvia as I could carry. I will also be visiting my grandmother, whom I haven't seen for fourteen years and whom I love dearly. I don't know how it is going to turn out. I plan for a month but it might be longer. Thanks guys for the information. I am going to check with my ISP and the schools. If there is something worth posting, I will post here or start a new thread.

hey Drako, check your pm, I sent you one. where have you been?

Wow, Drako, what an awesome trip. Will you post your photos somewhere where we can see them when you get back?

Hotmail and other webbased emailing service worked when I was in asia. However, my cell phone did not.

What if med schools send you things via snail mail and require your sig? Can you give permission like a family member to sign it for you. They would know my choices.

Hero