Month to take MCAT...maybe I'm not understanding something

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtonsfriend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just now starting my preparation for the MCAT. I plan on taking the test beginning of June. However, I am becoming ambivalent because I keep reading posts saying "take the test in April so you can apply early." Can someone explain how you apply early? Is that for just certain medical schools because my state school I thought just had a deadline like in October and it does not matter if you apply early or not??? Getting a bit confused just need some explanations. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, the first day to turn in applications is June 1st I believe. The med schools starting looking at applications as soon as they get them. They do NOT wait until Oct. when every application is in to start looking. If you take the MCAT April, you get your scores by May, and can turn in the application by June.

If you apply with 100 seats left open, chances of you getting an interview is higher. If in October, there are some 4 seats left, they'll grill your application with the other premeds, and pick the one with the BEST app.

That's my understanding. I might have made a few mistakes, but the general idea is the same. Try to take it in April! You can always turn in your app. June 1st, and later submit your MCAT. But it's better to have everything at once!

You do not need to take the april exam to still be considered early. The good thing about taking the exam in april is that it allows you to receive your score in may, decide if you want to retake, and then take the exam in june (still early) or july (relatively early). Most schools don't really begin giving out invites till early august, some even later than that. It would be in your best interest to take the MCAT no later than July if you can help it (August MCAT begins to hurt a bit, though not the end of the world). June is a bit better than july, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a huge difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to take the april exam to still be considered early. The good thing about taking the exam in april is that it allows you to receive your score in may, decide if you want to retake, and then take the exam in june (still early) or july (relatively early). Most schools don't really begin giving out invites till early august, some even later than that. It would be in your best interest to take the MCAT no later than July if you can help it (August MCAT begins to hurt a bit, though not the end of the world). June is a bit better than july, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a huge difference.

Would agree about June and July MCAT being similar, but just to pass along my experience this cycle..

Here's generic timing based on what I saw..Turn in primary. Wait 2-3 weeks for secondary to become available. Finish this & turn it in (hopefully electronically, sometimes paper is required). This is marked "received" a week or so later. Wait 4-8 weeks for secondary to be reviewed. Interview invite is given for an interview date a few weeks after this (has to be at least 2 weeks out in order to book a plane ticket).

So doing the math, even turning in secondary (or taking the MCAT as generally secondaries aren't fully reviewed until MCAT scores are available) in August puts one at something of a disadvantage for schools that begin interviewing in September..I'm seeing on other SDN threads that people receiving interview invites now turned in secondaries about a month earlier than my mid-September secondaries were turned in.. word of caution in this as things are shifting earlier & earlier.

My opinion is that July MCAT is OK, but given 30 days to grade the exam, that'd still put you in August secondary completion timeframe..June would be safer for completing the MCAT.

Would agree about June and July MCAT being similar, but just to pass along my experience this cycle..

Here's generic timing based on what I saw..Turn in primary. Wait 2-3 weeks for secondary to become available. Finish this & turn it in (hopefully electronically, sometimes paper is required). This is marked "received" a week or so later. Wait 4-8 weeks for secondary to be reviewed. Interview invite is given for an interview date a few weeks after this (has to be at least 2 weeks out in order to book a plane ticket).

So doing the math, even turning in secondary (or taking the MCAT as generally secondaries aren't fully reviewed until MCAT scores are available) in August puts one at something of a disadvantage for schools that begin interviewing in September..I'm seeing on other SDN threads that people receiving interview invites now turned in secondaries about a month earlier than my mid-September secondaries were turned in.. word of caution in this as things are shifting earlier & earlier.

My opinion is that July MCAT is OK, but given 30 days to grade the exam, that'd still put you in August secondary completion timeframe..June would be safer for completing the MCAT.

All this wouldn't even matter if you rush to take the test and your scores suck.

I agree with SN2ED's post above this.