monthly cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much do you guys spend a month on:

1. rent

2. electric and cable

3. food

i'm kinda freaking out about how i will afford all this (i know it varies by area, but im curious anyway).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna be at Wayne State in Detroit, and I'm HOPING to have a rent of about 500 a month, another 100 for utilites, and about 200 for food. Although I always end up spending way more on food than I intend to, since I'm lazy and eat out way to much.....but hopefully that will change:)

I actually found a really cool budget worksheet online, you basically plug in your estimates for everything, and then as the year goes on, you track how much you spend and on what every month. So I'm planning on using that, and hopefully it keeps me on budget.
If anyones interested, you can find the worksheet here, it's an excel file:
https://www.theloanprogram.org/tlc/Calculators/StudentBudget.aspx

This is going to be HIGHLY variable. Where are you going to be? Otherwise you'll get a ton of responses but not necessarily for where you want to know about.

Do you want rent for a 1 BR or for more BRs, splitting rent several ways with roommates?

If you are going somewhere north, you might want to ask about how much people pay for heat as well (as well as type of heat---gas, electric or other. Some places include heat in rent).

Groceries for me vary from $100 to $200/month depending on my schedule and so forth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Madhatter said:
how much do you guys spend a month on:

1. rent

2. electric and cable

3. food

i'm kinda freaking out about how i will afford all this (i know it varies by area, but im curious anyway).

This completely depends on where you are going to be living, what type of place you live at, and if you live alone.

1: $775
2: $30
3: $No Idea, does this include bar tabs.... maybe $200???

i also will be at wayne (Detroit, MI).... here is what i plan on paying...

1. Rent (per month):
-2 bedroom in relatively new apartment complex (20 miles out of detroit) that includes a washer/dryer in the apartment and fully furnished kitchen.
-they pay for heat & water (gas heat & gas dryer)
-my portion of the rent: $360

2. Utilities (per month)
-I will be paying only electric (also divided 2 ways) which is based on air conditioning, lights, computer, etc
-Electricity: $10-20 (after split 2 ways, call the electric company to get avg for particular apartment)
-DSL + phoneline + cable TV = $27 + $20 + $25 = $72/2 = $36
-Covered Parking: $15
Rental Insurance: ??
Gasoline for car: $95-120 per month (48 mile drive per day x 5d/week)
total: $170 + $50 (for leeway) = $220

3. Food (per month):
-$150-200

total: ~$900-$1000 per month

of course, i am pre-m1, but this is what i am hoping for.