Moonlighting during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonchopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current radiation oncology residents moonlighting? I will definitely need some supplemental income over the next four years and was interested in the types of moonlighting others were doing.

Members don't see this ad.

radonchopeful said:
Any current radiation oncology residents moonlighting? I will definitely need some supplemental income over the next four years and was interested in the types of moonlighting others were doing.

Planning on doing some moonlighting at a radiology private practice pushing drugs (this requires the painful process of going through getting a real state license).

Thaiger75 said:
Planning on doing some moonlighting at a radiology private practice pushing drugs (this requires the painful process of going through getting a real state license).

i moonlighted for about a year or so, at an icu at a teaching hospital in the area. i completed 2 years of IM (min required to moonlight at this hospital). The shifts were 24 hour shifts on weekends. rounding, putting in lines, dealing with icu pts. i liked icu work...sick patients who need attention, great nursing staff, a controlled environment, priority with getting studies done in the hospital. the pay wasnt bad either (approx 70/hour). i stopped it because between studying, my gf&family, being on call for my radonc program and more studying, the money wasnt worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
radonc said:
i moonlighted for about a year or so, at an icu at a teaching hospital in the area. i completed 2 years of IM (min required to moonlight at this hospital). The shifts were 24 hour shifts on weekends. rounding, putting in lines, dealing with icu pts. i liked icu work...sick patients who need attention, great nursing staff, a controlled environment, priority with getting studies done in the hospital. the pay wasnt bad either (approx 70/hour). i stopped it because between studying, my gf&family, being on call for my radonc program and more studying, the money wasnt worth it.

Hey, how did you find out about monlighting opportunities? I'm looking into that fgor next year and I can't find info.

i had friends who moonlighted at various hospitals...

make sure malpractice is sorted out; typical malpractice coverage from residency usually does not cover moonlighting

its usually not an issue...the hospital where you moonlight provides it...if it doesnt, i would look elsewhere.