Moonlighting during residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgrady

Future AZCOM Grad & D.O.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help out with some ballpark figures on when you can start moonlighting in residency and what hours/income are reasonable with call, etc.?

Also, are some programs better than others for moonlighting? Do some restrict your mailpractice coverage or otherwise hinder your ability to make a livable wage for a family provider?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

not allowed at our program. you should check with the individual program to see if they allow this, because i believe that the majority do not.

Could anyone help out with some ballpark figures on when you can start moonlighting in residency and what hours/income are reasonable with call, etc.?

Also, are some programs better than others for moonlighting? Do some restrict your mailpractice coverage or otherwise hinder your ability to make a livable wage for a family provider?

Thanks!

Search this forum for moonlighting then go to the thread also titled moonlighting started by Supafresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i started that action. guess what.....no moonlighting action for me this residency. the best moonlighting i found is tutoring 12 year-old's in algebra in fairfield county.

Cleveland Clinic has outstanding moonlighting opportunities (internal) $60-80/hour starting 2 or 3 months into CA-1 year.

Also in Cleveland I know Case/UH has some moonlighting, and MetroHealth has LifeFlight moonlighting but I heard it is only $40/hour.

not allowed at our program. you should check with the individual program to see if they allow this, because i believe that the majority do not.

Our program did not allow it but it was more of a don't ask don't tell policy, since at least a third of the residents were engaged in some sort of moonlighting activity. Ask the other upper level residents you trust about moonlighting. If you are a good resident and the moonlighting doesn't interfere with your residency performance, I do not see how it is any of their business.

Just don't rub it in you're their noses; I was a at a hospital with an easy FP Residency, where a FP resident was able to moonlight every night and every weekend. He took his 1099s to the residency graduation dinner and showed them to the FP attending. He had doubled their salary. Next month the had a new policy that all moonlighting had to be approved by the residency program director.