Moonlighting IMG - possible?

Started by UCC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UCC

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning to do residency in the USA on a visa. I want to be able to moonlight. I know you can't moonlight on a J-1. I've heard mixed things on the H1B.

I've seen IMGs are eligible for licensing in WI and WY after PGY-1. Are you able to moonlight after that time on an H1B? I always thought it was yes, but was looking at some programs yesterday and they said no. Is that just an institutional policy or a law?

If the latter, are there many residents who somehow moonlight illegally. It seems like a lot of the IMG residents where I'm rotation are moonlighting and I'm curious how. Didn't want to give any of them the wrong impression by asking them about that.
 
I am planning to do residency in the USA on a visa. I want to be able to moonlight. I know you can't moonlight on a J-1. I've heard mixed things on the H1B.

I've seen IMGs are eligible for licensing in WI and WY after PGY-1. Are you able to moonlight after that time on an H1B? I always thought it was yes, but was looking at some programs yesterday and they said no. Is that just an institutional policy or a law?

If the latter, are there many residents who somehow moonlight illegally. It seems like a lot of the IMG residents where I'm rotation are moonlighting and I'm curious how. Didn't want to give any of them the wrong impression by asking them about that.

Contact medicare. I think if you have a license in a state to practice you can get paid. The insitutions frown on it and and may even prohibit it by contract, but of course, it happens all the time, and you get paid on 1099 by locums companies or by individual physicians or hospitals. There are federal laws addressing payment for moolighting, and specifically mention residents and how they are paid under fed programs...good luck. What do you want to do? What residency? Getting staff privileges might be an issue in some hospitals and some fields more restirictive than others?
 
Contact medicare. I think if you have a license in a state to practice you can get paid. The insitutions frown on it and and may even prohibit it by contract, but of course, it happens all the time, and you get paid on 1099 by locums companies or by individual physicians or hospitals. There are federal laws addressing payment for moolighting, and specifically mention residents and how they are paid under fed programs...good luck. What do you want to do? What residency? Getting staff privileges might be an issue in some hospitals and some fields more restirictive than others?

Family or PM&R.