Resident/fellow side hustles besides moonlighting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’d love something I could do at home on my own time for some extra income. Been looking into medical education like question bank writing but haven’t been able to find anything. Anyone have anything they pursue?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Other types of medical writing aside from Qbank writing can be good as a resident. For example, writing for a medical or health website, or scientific manuscript editing. Tutoring is another one that can typically be done on your own time.

Here's a blog post with some other ideas: How to make extra money as a resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Other types of medical writing aside from Qbank writing can be good as a resident. For example, writing for a medical or health website, or scientific manuscript editing. Tutoring is another one that can typically be done on your own time.

Here's a blog post with some other ideas: How to make extra money as a resident

how does one monetize doing off her medical writing?

The caveat of doing the work from home more often than not I will decrease what you can pull in with a side hustle compared to shift work at an urgent care or other scenario like this. That being said if you have an excellent entrepreneurial spirit and background you may be able to figure something out that pays very well. A lot of that at home gigs include question writing, surveys and other task of such a nature and as mentioned this does pay much less often times. Side hustles that I did when I was in training included in house Nocturnus work, urgent care moonlighting, insurance company in-home visits as my primary additional sources of income through residency and fellowship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I work with a tutoring company that is looking for USMLE tutors (work from home) for those that scored >245. Can PM me if anyone is interested.

Use your credentials as a licensed physician to land these medical writing gigs, then just outsource the writing itself to some guy in India on upwork.

Use your credentials as a licensed physician to land these medical writing gigs, then just outsource the writing itself to some guy in India on upwork.

This is poor advice. If medical credentials are required to land the gig, a guy in India that you find on Upwork is unlikely to do an adequate job.

This is poor advice. If medical credentials are required to land the gig, a guy in India that you find on Upwork is unlikely to do an adequate job.

These writing gigs don't "require" any credentials whatsoever. You're just more likely to land one if you have some way of making yourself stand out from the crowd of unemployed losers and third world freelancers spam applying for every such job. Being a US trained physician is merely a marketing asset to land the jobs rather than a requirement for doing them. Most of those assignments still go to the aforementioned crowd due to the simple fact that cost matters more than quality for most of these gigs. As legit US trained physician you are going to be able to command a somewhat higher rate than a Bangalore freelancer, but not by enough to make it worthwhile for you to actually do the work yourself. The only way to leverage your status as a physician is as a marketing tool, then just outsource the work. At the end of the day it's almost certainly going to be some Indian guy writing up the damn thing anyway, the only question is will you be the one pocketing some of the money. In other words, consider your role in this whole endeavor to be that of a job agency acquiring work for your Indian clients in exchange for a commission lol.