Moonlighting in ... IM/Urgent Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redoitall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am an R1 (PGY-2). I do love radiology. I have to say, I am fortunate enough that our program (or our chiefs) have some pretty good moonlighting opportunities for us, but as an R1 they are still limited to contrast coverage. These are great gigs, but I am afraid my current financial needs are not met (or met with difficulty).
I was wondering if anyone had thought (or actually did) moonlight in the urgent care shops? I had a very solid IM training as a prelim year and I think I could swing it without any issue. I personally dread the IM way of doing medicine, writing notes and seeing patients, but 1 or 2 day a month would greatly help my finances. This won't help my radiology training, but until moonlighting is better, where I can actually read stuff (and not just do contrast coverage), I was thinking this could be an option.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thank you folks.

Members don't see this ad.

People do it. Especially people interested in IR. It gives you a way to keep some kind of clinical mindset.

I think if you're confident in your skills, do it now before you lose them.

You'd have to get approval from your PD.

You hit the nail on the head there. I am out of IM for 6 months now and I already fill my knowledge dripping out of my brain, particularly since I turned to radiology. But I think that low acuity problems, or at minimum spotted the sick people that do need to go the the ER is something I can do.
I will investigate.
If you guys have done it, please contribute. I'd like to know what worked (or didn't) for you, and how you went about finding gigs.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to have a full medical license. The details of this depends on the state.

You need to have malpractice insurance. This may be an extension of the insurance you have through your main job but the extension is arranged separately.

You need approval from your program director.

Finding a gig is the last step.

From my past research, malpractice insurance seems to come with some gigs, I would not consider one without, otherwise there is little point to moonlight to pay for the insurance.

I haven't talked to my PD about it yet. Our program is "moonlight friendly" as long as everything is done etc... As for the license, we were encouraged to get it sooner than later to be put in the moonlighting pool. So I got it at a mer ~$1500 that I now need to recoup.

Now I need to know about the feasibility, and how "sound" it is for a radiology resident to moonlight and seeing patient. Contrast coverage gigs are great, but there are not many. So if seeing (low acuity) patients helps pay the bills, then why not. I just would have liked to hear from someone who actually did it to learn about the pitfalls and issues in pursuing that route.

You need to have a full medical license. The details of this depends on the state.

You need to have malpractice insurance. This may be an extension of the insurance you have through your main job but the extension is arranged separately.

You need approval from your program director.

Finding a gig is the last step.

Speaking in generalities:

Depends on if it's internal or external, and depends on if it's private or through the VA. If it's internal moonlighting through the IM department or if it's with the VA, you don't need insurance. You will, however, need a license. Again, if it's through the VA, it doesn't even have to be with the state you're practicing in.

Good luck. Most UCs want BC/BE.

OP means as a clinician.

Yep, they prefer EM or FM docs with BC. IM prelim would definitely not cut it in my neck of the woods.

Yep, they prefer EM or FM docs with BC. IM prelim would definitely not cut it in my neck of the woods.

Very different than my med school area and where I'm in residency, then. Midwest and Texas...

Where are you?

Hi all
I am an R1 (PGY-2). I do love radiology. I have to say, I am fortunate enough that our program (or our chiefs) have some pretty good moonlighting opportunities for us, but as an R1 they are still limited to contrast coverage. These are great gigs, but I am afraid my current financial needs are not met (or met with difficulty).
I was wondering if anyone had thought (or actually did) moonlight in the urgent care shops? I had a very solid IM training as a prelim year and I think I could swing it without any issue. I personally dread the IM way of doing medicine, writing notes and seeing patients, but 1 or 2 day a month would greatly help my finances. This won't help my radiology training, but until moonlighting is better, where I can actually read stuff (and not just do contrast coverage), I was thinking this could be an option.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thank you folks.

Would not do it. As an R1 you need to learn a ton of stuff for Rads. You will have a hard time catching up if you don't learn it now. Urgent care gigs don't pay that great to truly make a difference unless you do a lot of it. True urgent care work requires primary care residency and typically at least board eligibility at least in my area. I do not know of a single person who is a resident and is doing urgent care work. Also you probably don't have enough knowledge base to deal with primary care (and I don't mean this as an insult - I think it oes for just about anyone who has only completed a prelim). It can bring many more headaches than the little financial compensation you might get if you miss something, and there is a negative outcome. In particular if you have to deal with kids, that's even worse in terms of liability. again would not do it. Why not do disability evals, H/Ps, etc?

Would not do it. As an R1 you need to learn a ton of stuff for Rads. You will have a hard time catching up if you don't learn it now... Why not do disability evals, H/Ps, etc?
Hey bunted_out
That's kind of the feedback I was looking for. I am totally down to do disability evals. I would never work with kids, ever. And I do understand your point about knowledge and primary care.
It is true that the amount of knowledge in rad is daunting and I feel that I am falling behind already! The question is where do you get those disability gigs and other less painful work in a way to monetize the (limited) knowledge we have?

Thanks for the input y'all...

Hey bunted_out
That's kind of the feedback I was looking for. I am totally down to do disability evals. I would never work with kids, ever. And I do understand your point about knowledge and primary care.
It is true that the amount of knowledge in rad is daunting and I feel that I am falling behind already! The question is where do you get those disability gigs and other less painful work in a way to monetize the (limited) knowledge we have?

Thanks for the input y'all...

Unless your financial situation is truly dire, I would recommend against moonlighting in your first year of Rads - especially if you feel you are falling behind already. Focus on rads. It may not be what you want to hear but you've work hard to get here you don't want distractions and then to do poorly in your program. With that said, if you truly are bent on doing something like moonlighting, you will first need to get a full unrestricted license. If you do things like disability evals they will prob cover your insurance. There are many of these companies - I would truly just google them depending on what state you are in. If you can do something within your program, then obviously that's always best. You can always do things like medical student editing of personal statements, residency applications, etc. which can pay surprisingly well if you market yourself on things like Upwork, etc.

Reactions: 1 user