Moonlighting in ortho residency

Started by smr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smr

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found some old threads on this but does anyone have any new insight into how much moonlighting if any is possible during ortho residency? I imagine it varies between programs but it would be interesting to have a basic idea. Is it common, impossible tc?
 
Our program allows for moonlighting during 4th and 5th year. I usually do about 1 weekend per month.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very program specific. Of the couple places I know that have moonlighting, they are internal and only available for the chiefs, not even the 4s. However, they are pretty lucrative and require minimal work.
 
Several residents in my program moonlighted using NES. It was all emergency department staffing. During my research year, I did 60 hour weekend shifts in a small resort town's 4 bed hospital. The pay was good, and included a plane tickets, because it would have been a 6 hour drive. There was medicine, peds, and surgery backup on call. Bigger trauma got loaded on a helicopter and transported to a level 2 center 150 miles away. In later years, I also did 12 hour weekend shifts at an Air Force base hospital. It was very, very lucrative; occasionally NES would call at the last minute offering double their normal rate, because someone bailed out on them.

Our program had no specific regulations prohibiting this.