Moonlighting in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timtom98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the best moonlighting gigs from your radiology residency?

Contrast coverage, reading more, and what is protocoling studies anyway??

Members don't see this ad.

Contrast coverage is nice because you can read/study during that time, as long as the pay is reasonable ($75-100). Can be stressful if you have to check outpatient studies before the patient leaves.

Reading more studies is not very common and only makes sense if it’s within your institution, and is getting signed off by one of your institution’s attendings, so you don’t need separate malpractice.

Protocolling studies just means you say what areas to scan, what sequences to get (MRI), what contrast phases, etc. Usually the institution has approved protocols for indications, so you just match it to that. Moonlighting to protocol studies - that is unique. Normally you have to do that for free. Are there places offering this?

Piggybacking this question. I know this is institution dependent, but are there institutions where moonlighting can become a significant bump to income consistently for residents if they want it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Contrast coverage is nice because you can read/study during that time, as long as the pay is reasonable ($75-100). Can be stressful if you have to check outpatient studies before the patient leaves.

Reading more studies is not very common and only makes sense if it’s within your institution, and is getting signed off by one of your institution’s attendings, so you don’t need separate malpractice.

Protocolling studies just means you say what areas to scan, what sequences to get (MRI), what contrast phases, etc. Usually the institution has approved protocols for indications, so you just match it to that. Moonlighting to protocol studies - that is unique. Normally you have to do that for free. Are there places offering this?

yes one place is offering it for around 100 an hour! but capped at 10 hrs per week. not sure how easy it is to obtain these shifts

Piggybacking this question. I know this is institution dependent, but are there institutions where moonlighting can become a significant bump to income consistently for residents if they want it?

yes for sure ive heard from some residents that theyve doubled their salary!

You can look up specifics of a lot of programs on here.
www.avatarmd.net

The best I saw in terms of $/hr was UAB where you can double dip in contrast coverage and reads and make $150/hr.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was on the trail a couple years ago, programs I interviewed at that had notably good moonlighting included UTSW and UPMC. Residents at those programs claimed to have nearly doubled their salaries with aggressive internal moonlighting.