Moonlighting in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underthesun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This will be highly location dependent. In my region, even local rural ERs did not take non-ER residents for moonlighting. I also would not recommend rural ER moonlighting - this is the kind of location where you will be on your own and expected to do things that you will not be able to manage, such as sick neonates and traumas that are too unstable to bypass your ER. It's for this reason that these kinds of opportunities do not exist in many locations any more.

I obviously cannot speak to other types of opportunities like occupational health, but I did want to make a note of how rural ER medicine would potentially be the worst option, if it even existed.

Reactions: 3 users
Rural EM shifts are not at all a good idea for a moonlighting rads resident.

Are you actually comfortable with the idea of managing difficult airways on the garbled anatomy of the high-speed MVC, placing a blakemore on that cirrhotic spewing blood across the room as his pressures circle the drain, or doing something as rare and time-sensitive as a thoracotomy or perimortem c-section -- then managing a high stakes neonate -- all while dad is screaming and crying outside the room? I just don't see it.

I could see urgent care shifts assuming you had a strong transitional year or prelim year -- something where it is low stakes for you to go and review some literature or resources if needed without anyone dying in the meantime -- might want to brush up on your OB and peds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah EM shifts certainly wouldn't be my first choice, I bring that up bc some rads residents used to pick up rural ED shifts a couple hours away from my home program. I could see how that could be problematic. So I guess my question is really how to find the occ health or urgent care stuff....google searching just shows different agencies, but I thought I would ask here to see if ppl had any tips for how to find these things.

Certainly! Folks from my institution all were word-of-mouth. You could def cold call some of the local facilities, but if you ask around -- perhaps touch base with some IM residents and EM residents at your hospital, they will have the scoop for you.

Another alternative would be what you are already doing -- checking out the web.
If any of these urgent cares are near you, you could call them and ask if they would be interested in a moonlighter:

Moonlighting in an ED as a rads resident is about as safe as an EM resident moonlighting as a radiologist.

Stick to what you’re good at.

Why would you want to do clinical medicine when you finally made it safely away from it?

Go do chill contrast coverage and read plain films in house or with local private groups your residency has a relationship with etc.

• Love
Why would you want to do clinical medicine when you finally made it safely away from it?

Go do chill contrast coverage and read plain films in house or with local private groups your residency has a relationship with etc.
See above where home program has like zero opportunities for these. In the process of trying to find outside opportunities. I’ll do whatever I can find to do (as long as it’s safe).

I agree with you. For some reason the rads residents at my program used to do rural EM coverage. It would make me very uncomfortable to do that to say the least.
Yeah, I would just "babysit" the machines for moonlighting as a junior. When you're a senior resident, you can pick up extra shifts which will be solely reading scans.

Many programs do not allow for resident moonlighting. You can certainly still try to find ways to do it but if you are caught you very well could be disciplined/dismissed.

most of the programs I've been looking at / interviewed at have rads related moonlighting opportunities. Or is it that you're pretty much set on staying at your home program (which has none?)