Moonlighting Offer As a PGY 3 Resident. Good or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the UC programs I interviewed at paid 160/hr for internal, just FYI as another data point.
That definitely more than I know some psych attendings are getting.

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital I interviewed at in Texas had residents getting 5-6k a weekend of inpatient coverage as well (external moonlighting). Just another fyi.

Members don't see this ad :)
@NickNaylor lol this guy got all butt hurt and complained to the mods that I was mean to him and now I am on probation snitch!

It's SDN... Some posters have privileges here, so they can get you banned. I don't know if you had a private conversation with the poster in question, but you did not say anything egregious in this thread to warrant probation. Oh well! Be careful so they don't have any excuses to ban you so you can continue to contribute here...

Just to be clear, I did not report you. I don't agree with your point of view and you were unnecessarily antagonistic, but that in and of itself is not a reason for me to report you. You are more than willing to make a fool of yourself in a public forum if you'd like - I won't stop you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hospital I interviewed at in Texas had residents getting 5-6k a weekend of inpatient coverage as well (external moonlighting). Just another fyi.

Wow, that's quite nice. I'm assuming this is providing complete, 24-hour coverage for Saturday and Sunday? I can't imagine that's the rate for just rounding and/or seeing new patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, that's quite nice. I'm assuming this is providing complete, 24-hour coverage for Saturday and Sunday? I can't imagine that's the rate for just rounding and/or seeing new patients.

Yup, that's right - 24 hour coverage.

Where at?

I didn't get the name of the hospital. I just remember some of the residents talking about the option to do this at the resident dinner. I wanted to ask more questions but didn't want to come across as too money hungry!

Anyone know if a nyc FMG in psychiatry (pgy 3 )can moonlight in CT? Any leads ?

How is 4K for 48 hour coverage in a 300 bed hospital where you cover ED, inpatient unit, and consults on all 300 beds? Recruiter says you’re only responsible for rounding Friday and Saturday on about 10 inpatients (the doctor you're covering) and any new admits you bring in. But you also have to round on a child unit which seemed odd as a resident?

How is 4K for 48 hour coverage in a 300 bed hospital where you cover ED, inpatient unit, and consults on all 300 beds? Recruiter says you’re only responsible for rounding Friday and Saturday on about 10 inpatients (the doctor you're covering) and any new admits you bring in. But you also have to round on a child unit which seemed odd as a resident?
Who can I contact? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's $83/hr.

Yeah but when you’re on the entire weekend, they give you a lump sum they don’t pay you hourly. Like they’re not gonna give you 140/hr which is around 7k for the weekend because you’re not actually working every hour, or maybe they are I don’t actually know that’s why I’m asking

Yeah but when you’re on the entire weekend, they give you a lump sum they don’t pay you hourly. Like they’re not gonna give you 140/hr which is around 7k for the weekend because you’re not actually working every hour, or maybe they are I don’t actually know that’s why I’m asking

Residents at my program are getting 6-7k a weekend to moonlight externally.

My understanding is that you are not allowed to violate duty hours inclusive of your moonlighting. Being on for a whole weekend would likely violate duty hours if you are either in house or called in overnight and see patients the next day. Whether there are consequences or anyone would know/care if you work a full weekend is another thing.

I get that covering for a weekend may be paid as lump sum, but if you're in house (and it sounds like you are) or get called more nights than not, this sounds really, really light pay unless there are visa/other factors stopping you from getting a better job.

If I were expected to work overnight most nights and physically see patients (vs. phone call with a very unusual going in in person), I wouldn't start the conversation until the fee was doubled and then I would negotiate.

My understanding is that you are not allowed to violate duty hours inclusive of your moonlighting. Being on for a whole weekend would likely violate duty hours if you are either in house or called in overnight and see patients the next day. Whether there are consequences or anyone would know/care if you work a full weekend is another thing.

I get that covering for a weekend may be paid as lump sum, but if you're in house (and it sounds like you are) or get called more nights than not, this sounds really, really light pay unless there are visa/other factors stopping you from getting a better job.

If I were expected to work overnight most nights and physically see patients (vs. phone call with a very unusual going in in person), I wouldn't start the conversation until the fee was doubled and then I would negotiate.

Hours are averaged over a month for one. For two, most third years residents aren't doing more than 50 hours a week...so a 90-100 hour week with weekend moonlighting wouldnt come close to violating the monthly hour limit.

It would violate the 24 hr shift rule, not the hours/week rule. Granted surgery residents laugh at this rule, but working an entire weekend is a technical violation unless it's home call and you don't go in.

Anyone? Have a new baby on the way..could use the money..

You need to ask people in your program, how are we supposed to Help you when we’re all in different states..

OP try and see if you can get connected with a locum tenens company in your region if you can. I live in Mass and in the recent years one of the locum companies in the New England region started banding together a huge herd of psychiatrists and now moonlighting rates start at $200.

Collective bargaining holla

I get a good amount of hours from this job but Im still not satisfied. I am in the process of getting my Connecticut license as a resident because New York is too saturated. Looking for a Connecticut gig that will hire PGY-3 residents.

Depends on what part of the country that you're in, but it does seem like a lot of patient interactions for a mediocre hourly rate. One of the C/L moonlighting gigs I do is base rate $62/hour but an extra $200 per consult (includes any follow-up consults). If you can negotiate to get paid extra per consult or even per consult after a certain amount like (after 10 patient interactions, each one after is an extra $XXX).

Also someone mentioned malpractice coverage which from my standpoint is meaningless. Full-time coverage can be as low as $4k/year which you can make up in 1-2 shifts. So I wouldn't use that as a major negotiating point because other things might be more lucrative like trying to negotiate extra money per consult or even time limits like (no floor consults after midnight, only ER -- just an example).