moonlighting question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. If a program does not allow/offer moonlighting, what are the possibilities of moonlighting outside of your residency program? If anyone has any advice on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. If a program does not allow/offer moonlighting, what are the possibilities of moonlighting outside of your residency program? If anyone has any advice on this I'd greatly appreciate it!
If they don't allow it, you can't do it.

If they allow it but don't offer any, it will depend somewhat on your specialty. I'm family med and during residency I did disability exams and covered the psych hospital on the weekend. Some of my co-residents did urgent care work. My internist wife had lots of co-residents do nights at their local LTAC. ED residents can often moonlight in rural EDs or urgent care. Psych in my state does coverage at state mental health hospitals.

If the program doesn't allow internal moonlighting, the question is whether they allow external moonlighting. You can do no moonlighting whatsoever without the explicit permission of your program director.

If they allow external moonlighting, the options are really specialty specific. I know EM and psychiatry residents that tripled or more their income during their 3rd and 4th years. OTOH, surgery residents basically have no time to moonlight and rarely get the go-ahead to do so.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess that is something I will have to find out. Great, thanks for the help guys!