Moonlighting Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blabbyblab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to get a sense of what inpatient/in-house moonlighting is like across the country. I was wondering if a few of you would be able to answer the following:

Workload: 1-10

I would say sleeping most of the night with only a few pages is a "1" and doing >6 admissions/12 hours with no sleep is a "10".

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did 3 different moonlighting gigs during my fellowship, all on the West Coast.

1. IM Hospitalist at community hospital. $100/h, 12h shifts. 12 on a scale of 1-10 (I quit signing up for shifts after I admitted 14 patients one night.)

2. IM Hospitalist at Univ hospital. $65/h, 12h shifts. 1-2 on the pain scale. Pay sucked and they did away with it once they had hired enough hospitalists so it didn't matter whether I liked it or not.

3. Onc/BMT at Univ hospital. $85-95/h + bonus for holidays.1-6 on the pain scale. The busiest night I ever had was 6 admits, 2 unit transfers and a code/death, but I still slept for 2 hours. The last shift I did I had two admits waiting when I rolled in at 7, finished my work at 10 including writing a death note on a DNR/comfort care patient, got paged at 12:30a for something non-trivial, then again at 6:30am for something trivial but my alarm went off at the same time so no harm, no foul.

Hello all, I am trying to get a sense of what inpatient/in-house moonlighting is like across the country. I was wondering if a few of you would be able to answer the following:

I would say sleeping most of the night with only a few pages is a "1" and doing >6 admissions/12 hours with no sleep is a "10".

Thanks!
Have you considered non clinical moonlighting? Sure doesn't pay the same as a 24 hour shift in house but if you're interested in something low key for decent pay it's worth a look. Handful of insurance exam moonlighting opportunities in a lot of locations.

Hourly Pay: $75-125 for 30-45 min evaluation
Workload: 0/10, (can't get any easier than these)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Elite ER based in Houston is always looking for Residents to moonlight. They staff ERs that are low volume specialty care hospitals. The volume is less than 5 pts a day and maybe 1 or 2 at night at some facilities. They have about 6 locations in Texas, 3 in Houston, McKinney, Brownsville and San Antonio. The pay is range is $70-$100 but then again you don't see many patients at all and you get to sleep at night. Shift can be 12 - 48 hr blocks. They do require ACLS but it's a good part time job for those who want extra income without a lot of work. They do cover malpractice.

Thanks!
My current moonlighting gigs (Mid-Atlantic Coast):
1. Hospitalist at a medium-sized community hospital. $110/hr, 12hr shifts. Workload is relatively low. Census is usually 7-12 patients, average of two admissions a shift.
2. Overnight Procedural Coverage, academic hospital. $1000 for 12hr. Basically helping the residents with overnight central lines, a-lines, thoras, whatever. Couple procedures a night, usually sleep at least eight hours.

I've done some other jobs in the past. Generally speaking, at this point if I don't consider it to be at least relatively "easy money", I don't do it. There is enough hassle in my day job.