Moonlighting telemed while a resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate how much debt that I am in. I want to start paying it off. I'm going to finish step 3 soon. Are telemed moonlighting opportunities even possible? Everything that I am seeing online wants board certification and a couple years removed from residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty hard to do telemed without experience. I wound never do it now and definitely would not do it as a resident. I got experience as a resident by doing urgent care on the weekends. Plus I was the medical director for a plasma center which was easy and paid well.

Pretty hard to do telemed without experience. I wound never do it now and definitely would not do it as a resident. I got experience as a resident by doing urgent care on the weekends. Plus I was the medical director for a plasma center which was easy and paid well.
This is contradictory, telling someone to not moonlight as they are a resident and need experience, then saying how when you were a resident you moonlighted at two places? I'm confused.

These days if an ARNP who just graduated from online diploma mill, or recent PA graduate is doing any ol' job; a resident physician is more than qualified.

We need to stop berating and down playing the role and value of newly minted physicians straight from med school. They have more training than a PA and an ARNP. We cling to our antiquated ways, we only serve to hasten the take over by midlevels.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is contradictory, telling someone to not moonlight as they are a resident and need experience, then saying how when you were a resident you moonlighted at two places? I'm confused.

These days if an ARNP who just graduated from online diploma mill, or recent PA graduate is doing any ol' job; a resident physician is more than qualified.

We need to stop berating and down playing the role and value of newly minted physicians straight from med school. They have more training than a PA and an ARNP. We cling to our antiquated ways, we only serve to hasten the take over by midlevels.
In person moonlighting =/= telemed. The former is much easier since the patient is right in front of you, you get can vitals/labs, and do an actual exam.

Reactions: 3 users

I was just trying to convey that telemed is hard and should have said because you can't do a hands on assessment, looks in ear, etc. The OP stated that the criteria was experience and board cert and wanted to know why.

Reactions: 1 user
1. What does your PD say? (We were encouraged to moonlight at urgent care our last year. They even set it up so the attending on call would be available for us if we ran into anything over our heads.)
2. What do other residents do in your program? Ask them.
3. I agree with above telehealth would be easier with more hands on experience. Try for urgent care hands on.
4. Make sure you have tail insurance.
5. Even though an Urgent Care may be fully staffed tell them you would like to PRN, once the staff knows you are willing to work the weekends holidays and late nights for them they will be happy. (and call you all the time to cover shifts)

Last edited:
1. What does your PD say? (We were encouraged to moonlight at urgent care our last year. They even set it up so the attending on call would be available for us if we ran into anything over our heads.)
2. What do other residents do in your program? Ask them.
3. I agree with above telehealth would be easier with more hands on experience. Try for urgent care hands on.
4. Make sure you have tail insurance.
5. Even though an Urgent Care may be fully staffed tell them you would like to PRN, once the staff knows you are willing to work the weekends holidays and late nights for them they will be happy. (and call you all the time to cover shifts)
I appreciate the responses @VA Hopeful Dr @Sushirolls and @cabinbuilder

1. My PD situation is a mess. I don't want to dive into it, recent turnover
2. Other residents are either from familys with a good amount of money and are not in much debt or are too burnout to moonlight
3. I have experience with close to 50 telemed calls during my first year of residency. I would love to try it at some point, if possible later on in the year. I will try local urgent cares initially. If anyone knows of telemed companies to reach out to please let me know.
4. noted
5. definitely willing

I do find it funny that PA's and NP's have like ~8 week rotations for Emergency Medicine during their training and then all of a sudden work in the ED making good money. I don't know why there are not more moonlighting opportunities in general.

Reactions: 1 users
can you share the ebooks for quick reference un urgent care

If you choose to go that route, be absolutely sure you have med mal coverage that will protect you. Phone medicine of familiar patients is hard enough, even after 12 years of practicing medicine. I couldn't imagine doing it on unfamiliar patients while still in residency, regardless of the everyone else is doing it mentality.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users