moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonredsox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey are any of you guys aware of any 3 year programs that don't let you start moonlighting during your first year? If I am lucky enough to match at a spot close to my home base I am planning on covering the MICU and sometimes inpt pulm consults at my current residency shop as the group Im going to join after fellowship is based here. Even if they restrict me from moonlighting as pulm or cc attending, am I at least most likely going to be ok to moonlight as a hospitalist/nocturnist starting july first of fellow year 1? Also I have heard some places are in-house moonlighting only for their fellows.

Members don't see this ad.

My program which was very front loaded would not allow moonlighting first year of fellowship. The call was heavy, so you obviously can't moonlight in a scheduled call night and I was on basically every other weekend for a year, so if I would have moonlighted I never would have seen my family and would have been exhausted to the point problems - looking back I probably was close to that anyway.

There was one fellow in my group who did some moonlighting BUT this fellow was ready previously credentialed at a couple different places and kept it on the down low. Once you started training in your fellowship it will be pretty damn hard to do any sneaky moonlighting the way credentialing works if not already credentialed somewhere. .

After first year we can moonlight as much as we want and even have the chance to do some paid as a fellow moonlighting at a few spots when the first year fellow is off for the weekend.

Remember you are technically supposed to count moonlighting hours towards an 80hr work week now. So deal with that however you need to but don't get *caught* working 120.

Every place is different. My fellowship would not allow moonlighting for the first 6 months to make sure you're up to speed on educational activities. After that they don't care. That being said, moonlighting counts towards hours and we had a fellow fired over moonlighting (and other issues)

No one is going to let a first year fellow moonlight as a pulm locum, you can get some icu coverage but what you can do depends on where and who you moonlight for