Moonlighting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermDroog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can Dermatology residents moonlight?

Members don't see this ad.

Have met residents who moonlighted (moonlit?), either in a general medicine role or in a dermatology role. Some programs have weekend clinics within the dept that pay resident volunteers (either gen derm or cosmetics). Some programs permit it but discourage it. Others prohibit it.

Can Dermatology residents moonlight?

Our program "strongly discourages" it. If you do moonlight, you cannot moonlight as a dermatologist, and if you get < 50% on the most recent intraining, then you can't moonlight at all. You also have to have your own full license, malpractice, and DEA # for when you moonlight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes derm residents can moonlight but it depends by program. And yes, they can moonlight as dermatologists and that too depends from program to program. You do need a DEA#, license, and your own malpractice insurance, but if the state already requires a DEA# and a license to prescribe medications, you're 2/3 there.

Sure. I know of a program that has at least 3 different "moonlighting" options, as a Dermatologist.

1. VA Saturday Dermatology clinics
2. ID clinic
3. Urgent Care Clinic for Occupational Dermatology

Sure. I know of a program that has at least 3 different "moonlighting" options, as a Dermatologist.

1. VA Saturday Dermatology clinics
2. ID clinic
3. Urgent Care Clinic for Occupational Dermatology

Sounds like Iowa?

Thanks for the insight. I've heard rumors from classmates in the other specialties of Moonlighting opportunities that are absurdly generous, somewhere in the ball park of 80 - 200+/hr in rural areas. If there is even a shred of truth to that it will go along way towards helping to pay off some of these draconian loans.