More advice please (esp from those in Chitown)

Started by cpb80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cpb80

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you guys for always being willing to offer me your advice. I have another annoying med student EM question...

I'm currently scheduling aways. I would like to stay in Chitown for residency. I would consider Florida, NC, or NY, but I'm not psyched about doing aways there for financial reasons.

Cook & Christ are booked solid throughout the summer and up until Oct. Where else should I do an away? I'm a UIC student, and I'm doing my home rotation at Mercy.
 
Thank you guys for always being willing to offer me your advice. I have another annoying med student EM question...

I'm currently scheduling aways. I would like to stay in Chitown for residency. I would consider Florida, NC, or NY, but I'm not psyched about doing aways there for financial reasons.

Cook & Christ are booked solid throughout the summer and up until Oct. Where else should I do an away? I'm a UIC student, and I'm doing my home rotation at Mercy.

Stating the obvious here, but why not U Chicago or Northwestern? 😕 I interviewed at U Chicago, and it is an excellent program that could really open doors for you should you earn a great SLOR.
 
Thank you guys for always being willing to offer me your advice. I have another annoying med student EM question...

I'm currently scheduling aways. I would like to stay in Chitown for residency. I would consider Florida, NC, or NY, but I'm not psyched about doing aways there for financial reasons.

Cook & Christ are booked solid throughout the summer and up until Oct. Where else should I do an away? I'm a UIC student, and I'm doing my home rotation at Mercy.

FYI I did an away at orlando and they have subsidized housing across the street for like $200 for the whole thing. overall good experience.. a touch for airfare and thats it.. i went car free and bought a $100 bike which i then resold for like $80..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jacksonville also usually has space for students in the dorm next door. I think it was about $10 a night last I heard.
 
Don't forget about Res. Also, if you're very interested in Christ, and bummed about not getting a spot for an EM rotation you could consider a Trauma elective. This would give you interaction with EM residents from both Christ and UIC and it would look good on your EM application. As a student on Trauma at Christ you can expect to get a lot of procedures.