More advice please (esp from those in Chitown)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for always being willing to offer me your advice. I have another annoying med student EM question...

I'm currently scheduling aways. I would like to stay in Chitown for residency. I would consider Florida, NC, or NY, but I'm not psyched about doing aways there for financial reasons.

Cook & Christ are booked solid throughout the summer and up until Oct. Where else should I do an away? I'm a UIC student, and I'm doing my home rotation at Mercy.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you guys for always being willing to offer me your advice. I have another annoying med student EM question...

I'm currently scheduling aways. I would like to stay in Chitown for residency. I would consider Florida, NC, or NY, but I'm not psyched about doing aways there for financial reasons.

Cook & Christ are booked solid throughout the summer and up until Oct. Where else should I do an away? I'm a UIC student, and I'm doing my home rotation at Mercy.

Stating the obvious here, but why not U Chicago or Northwestern? :confused: I interviewed at U Chicago, and it is an excellent program that could really open doors for you should you earn a great SLOR.

FYI I did an away at orlando and they have subsidized housing across the street for like $200 for the whole thing. overall good experience.. a touch for airfare and thats it.. i went car free and bought a $100 bike which i then resold for like $80..

Members don't see this ad :)
Jacksonville also usually has space for students in the dorm next door. I think it was about $10 a night last I heard.

My only advice is to stop calling it "Chi-town." ;)

Don't forget about Res. Also, if you're very interested in Christ, and bummed about not getting a spot for an EM rotation you could consider a Trauma elective. This would give you interaction with EM residents from both Christ and UIC and it would look good on your EM application. As a student on Trauma at Christ you can expect to get a lot of procedures.