More Burning ?'S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1hotdoctor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many of us 1st-timers have the following questions that we would appreciate greatly if those who have taken the PCAT before could fill us in on:

Biology:

1) How detailed are the Anatomy/Physiology Q's?

2) Are there a lot of Phylum, Class, Species, etc. stuff?

3) How detailed do they ask about the CELL/Mitosis/Micro stuff?

4) Any specific favorite areas in Biology they like to ask from?


Gen Chem:

1) Is it in general more conceptual stuff or more figure-out/calculations?

2) Do we need to know many formulas and if so which ones?

3) Will basic gen chem knowledg do or need to go deeper?

4) What areas do they love to ask from?


Org Chem:

1) How many name the following structure Q's?

2) How bad are the SN1/Sn2/E1/E2 Q's?

3) What type of steriochem stuff do they ask?

4) Are there many conceptual/quick answers?


Math:

1) How many pure trig q's?

2) How many Pure Calc q's?

3) How many quick and basic algebra q's?


Verbal:

1) What is the sigle best way to ace the Verbal section?

2) How bad are the analogies, etc.?

3) Are the words you need to know the anthonyms to really funky?



Hey, thanks in advance to anyone who helps us with these questions and God Bless!!
 
Biology:

1) How detailed are the Anatomy/Physiology Q's? I remember a question that pointed to part of body part and you were supposed to identify it. That is all I really remember for A&P stuff.

2) Are there a lot of Phylum, Class, Species, etc. stuff? Not on my test.

3) How detailed do they ask about the CELL/Mitosis/Micro stuff? I would say know the organelles and what happens at each stage of the cell cycle.

4) Any specific favorite areas in Biology they like to ask from? It was really everywhere, but general bio stuff was probably more common.


Gen Chem:

1) Is it in general more conceptual stuff or more figure-out/calculations? Very few calculations.

2) Do we need to know many formulas and if so which ones? Yep, all those good ones from gen chem. I bet you are almost guaranteed to see a enthalpy question. Entropy, free energy, and acid/base stuff are probably good bets too.

3) Will basic gen chem knowledge do or need to go deeper? What I learned in gen chem was more than sufficient. I think the questions are more of a broad overview, but they were a couple deeper q's.

4) What areas do they love to ask from? Everywhere but the areas I put above are important.


Org Chem:

1) How many name the following structure Q's? 3-4

2) How bad are the SN1/Sn2/E1/E2 Q's? Easy but you have to know what could reactant or not and the product. Same for any reaction questions.

3) What type of steriochem stuff do they ask? I don't remember there being any, but I would study it if you have time.

4) Are there many conceptual/quick answers? Yeah, but most of o.chem is like that.


Math: I really can't help you out on the q's for this section b/c I was struggling so hard to get through it fast. I didn't really pay too much attention to the content.

1) How many pure trig q's?

2) How many Pure Calc q's?

3) How many quick and basic algebra q's?


Verbal:

1) What is the sigle best way to ace the Verbal section? Having an amazing vocabulary. 😀 Really use good test-taking strategies, try to eliminate choices.

2) How bad are the analogies, etc.? They aren't bad if you know the words, but hell if you don't.

3) Are the words you need to know the anthonyms to really funky? They can be, but it all depends on whether you know the word or not.
 
Your answer to these q's would help many on SDN. Answer as many as you know.

1) How many pure trig q's?

2) How many Pure Calc q's?

3) How many quick and basic algebra q's?

4) What is the sigle best way to ace the Verbal section?

5) How bad are the analogies, etc.?

6) Are the words you need to know the anthonyms to really funky?


Thanks much in advance!!