More confused now than ever...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacistUH

Eat 'Em Up Coogs!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am enjoying a nice break during the thanksgiving holidays, and now that I have time to think I get more anxious about my future. When I got accepted into pharmacy school, I thought that the doors would close and I could just finish school, get a job, and be happy. I have the last one covered, pharmacy school has been the most stressful thing I've ever done in my short life, but I couldn't be happier. Now I am thinking, what can I do with my life...should I be trying to work towards a residency, should I be thinking about residency, or maybe industry or retail? Does anyone else have these thoughts, because out of my class I feel like I am the only one who has NO clue what he wants to do when he graduates. Thanks, happy thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am enjoying a nice break during the thanksgiving holidays, and now that I have time to think I get more anxious about my future. When I got accepted into pharmacy school, I thought that the doors would close and I could just finish school, get a job, and be happy. I have the last one covered, pharmacy school has been the most stressful thing I've ever done in my short life, but I couldn't be happier. Now I am thinking, what can I do with my life...should I be trying to work towards a residency, should I be thinking about residency, or maybe industry or retail? Does anyone else have these thoughts, because out of my class I feel like I am the only one who has NO clue what he wants to do when he graduates. Thanks, happy thanksgiving!

c/o 2011? Oh gosh...you have soooo much time. Just enjoy the ride...most people don't know where pharmacy is going to take them even after they've graduated. So soak it up and enjoy being a student. Be proactive...try new things and put in the initiative when you're at work or on rotations. You didn't mention work experience...what have you tried so far? Just remember not to limit yourself; keep an open mind about the opportunities out there and be willing to try something different. From strictly a personal standpoint, try hospital if you only have retail experience...and choose challenging rotations when you get there.

I personally wouldn't over think it though...you'll find your niche ;)

Dude, I'm at the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do. Hospital which is currently the convenient option, sell my soul to retail...which pays the most, PHS...which will allow me to retire at 44, go to graduate school at a pharmacology dept. somewhere and do what I was likely born to do, go on welfare, the possibilities are all open as hell right now. And I've changed my end game career goal 30 times. In fact, if you look at all of my posts, I bet you will see my career goal change about once every month. If you figure something out now, it will change later. Experience everything in school and it will all likely begin to fall in place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in Class of 2011.
Most of my classmates have no idea what they want to do, and I am pretty much in the same boat. I know I would want to do a residency if I can get into one. But at the same time, having a residency opens so many options. Therefore, my last year with rotations will probably eye-opening/ deciding factor. As of right now, I am just trying to get various experiences: retail, hospital, and maybe have an internship in a non-traditional pharmacy field.

Variety of options is one of the reasons why I like pharmacy field so much.

Don't worry man. You are not the only one!