More info about MD/PhD Reapplication process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glutenlover1948

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there on the internet that is directed towards MD/PhD reapplicants, so I am asking reapplicant-specific questions here to learn a little more about the process. If any of you can answer any of these questions, I would really appreciate it.

1. What do programs look for in a reapplicant?

2. How do schools go about scrutinizing our application? Is our application scrutinized any differently than first time applicants?

3. Do schools keep copies of our old application and compare it to our new one? How do they judge if we have "improved enough"?

4. Are reapplicants held at a higher or different standard because they are more familiar with the process and have had a couple extra years to work on their app?

Any other helpful comments or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Every school approaches it differently. There is no one answer.

We basically ask ourselves why this person didn't get in last time and what's different now. Could be lots of scenarios. I personally admire the persistence of re-applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight @Neuronix . Are you in the majority opinion within the mdphd admissions community regarding having a slightly positive view of reapplicants & their persistence? Or is does the majority tend to be a little more neutral/negative?

Thanks for the insight @Neuronix . Are you in the majority opinion within the mdphd admissions community regarding reapplicants being persistent?

Who knows. Everyone and every institution is different. This is why you apply to a dozen or more programs. There is no one formula.