more questions about LOR

Started by kiseki
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kiseki

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the process of applying in fall 06' for optometry schools and I realized quite a few schools I'm interested in have separate recommendation forms (UCBSO, Pacific, and SCO). If a school has separate forms to fill out by the recommender, does that mean I can't just send a letter from my school's career center?

I'm also interested in applying to SCCO, SUNY, NECO, and ICO, and I was wondering if these schools will accept and read more than their required # of recommendation letters (most seem to only require 2), because right now my TA from a class last quarter agreed to write one for me, but it doesn't seem like he's willing to write me a very personal rec letter. 🙁 But having one is better than not having any right...? Also, I heard UCBSO only accepts 3 total - and is it true that on the application you can select which 3 we want read?

Thanks in advanced for any input! 🙂
 
kiseki said:
I'm in the process of applying in fall 06' for optometry schools and I realized quite a few schools I'm interested in have separate recommendation forms (UCBSO, Pacific, and SCO). If a school has separate forms to fill out by the recommender, does that mean I can't just send a letter from my school's career center?
I sent all my LOR writers a packet with the appropriate coverletters and addressed envelopes, with a copy of my personal statement and my resume to make things easier. Most schools will allow the generic LOR to be attached to the coverletter.
kiseki said:
I'm also interested in applying to SCCO, SUNY, NECO, and ICO, and I was wondering if these schools will accept and read more than their required # of recommendation letters (most seem to only require 2), because right now my TA from a class last quarter agreed to write one for me, but it doesn't seem like he's willing to write me a very personal rec letter. 🙁 But having one is better than not having any right...?
Some of the schools do accept more than their minimum 2; just call the admissions office and ask what their policy is.
kiseki said:
Also, I heard UCBSO only accepts 3 total - and is it true that on the application you can select which 3 we want read?
UCB will take the first 3 letters that arrive for you. There is no "selecting", so make sure they get the 3 you think will be the best for your package. They do HIGHLY recommend that you have 1 OD letter and 1 academic letter in that mix.

-p.dot