more questions about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiseki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying in fall 06' for optometry schools and I realized quite a few schools I'm interested in have separate recommendation forms (UCBSO, Pacific, and SCO). If a school has separate forms to fill out by the recommender, does that mean I can't just send a letter from my school's career center?

I'm also interested in applying to SCCO, SUNY, NECO, and ICO, and I was wondering if these schools will accept and read more than their required # of recommendation letters (most seem to only require 2), because right now my TA from a class last quarter agreed to write one for me, but it doesn't seem like he's willing to write me a very personal rec letter. :( But having one is better than not having any right...? Also, I heard UCBSO only accepts 3 total - and is it true that on the application you can select which 3 we want read?

Thanks in advanced for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

kiseki said:
I'm in the process of applying in fall 06' for optometry schools and I realized quite a few schools I'm interested in have separate recommendation forms (UCBSO, Pacific, and SCO). If a school has separate forms to fill out by the recommender, does that mean I can't just send a letter from my school's career center?
I sent all my LOR writers a packet with the appropriate coverletters and addressed envelopes, with a copy of my personal statement and my resume to make things easier. Most schools will allow the generic LOR to be attached to the coverletter.
kiseki said:
I'm also interested in applying to SCCO, SUNY, NECO, and ICO, and I was wondering if these schools will accept and read more than their required # of recommendation letters (most seem to only require 2), because right now my TA from a class last quarter agreed to write one for me, but it doesn't seem like he's willing to write me a very personal rec letter. :( But having one is better than not having any right...?
Some of the schools do accept more than their minimum 2; just call the admissions office and ask what their policy is.
kiseki said:
Also, I heard UCBSO only accepts 3 total - and is it true that on the application you can select which 3 we want read?
UCB will take the first 3 letters that arrive for you. There is no "selecting", so make sure they get the 3 you think will be the best for your package. They do HIGHLY recommend that you have 1 OD letter and 1 academic letter in that mix.

-p.dot