more questions about sleep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SammyfromAustin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So since everyone on here knows about health/science I thought I would ask. Lately (since starting first year) I have been sleeping like 4-5 hours at night and then 1-3 hours in the daytime. Is it worth getting on a schedule where I sleep all at once? What is the best way to get the most out of my sleep time?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no reason why you can't get 8+ hours of sleep per night during 1st-2nd year.

I am inclined to say do whatever works best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it work for you? Then go with it. I have a couple friends who sleep 4 hours at a time, roughly 12 hours apart. Their sleeping schedules are super weird, but they're productive that way. Whatever works.

OP, I think it depends on how you feel. Having to take 1-3 hours out of the middle of you day might work during the pre clinical years, but that could be important later on. I would say switch to a more regular block sleeping schedule, and then nap sparingly...

So since everyone on here knows about health/science I thought I would ask. Lately (since starting first year) I have been sleeping like 4-5 hours at night and then 1-3 hours in the daytime. Is it worth getting on a schedule where I sleep all at once? What is the best way to get the most out of my sleep time?

Get ready for 3rd year surgery rotation. Just skip the 1-3 hours in the daytime.

Seriously, though, echoing what everyone else has said, do whatever works for you.

+1 Posts!

During my first 2 years, I considered it part of my job to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. The first thing to go with sleep deprivation is memory consolidation. Napping during the day is usually low-quality sleep, unless you happen to live in a light-controlled environment.

What's the best way to get the most out of your sleep time? Being on a surgery sub-i right now I'll resist the urge to punch the screen and say:

1. Go to bed at a reasonable hour.
2. Don't get up for 8-9 hours.
3. Spend 15 seconds before getting out of bed just enjoying the luxury of a full night's sleep.

It's generally best to get most of your sleep at night - due to circadian rhythms, but if you wanted to take a nap of up to 2 hours during "siesta" time that would be ok.

During the middle ages, people would go to sleep when it got dark, then get up for several hours in the middle of the night, then go back to sleep til first light.

I guess that schedule works if you aren't a coffee drinker. If I'm not sleep deprived I can't nap for the 10-12 hrs after caffeine.

thanks everyone, I got carried away the first few weeks of school and I'm going to try to get back to normal after the first tests. If your efficient there really is no reason to stay up, I was just always scared to push work to the next day.