More Step1 study schedule questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliketurt1es

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have some simple questions I'm hoping you can help with:

1. When is the best time to take the first practice test? (Before you start studying, so you can scare yourself? After doing a first pass of FA, maybe in March? At the beginning of the 5 week dedicated study period in April?)

2. Which is the first practice test one would take?

3. I have both UWorld and Kaplan Qbanks and haven't used either yet. If I was to start doing practice questions now, is it a better idea to use UWorld multiple times, or to use Kaplan first and then use UWorld at the beginning of the 5 week study period?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered multiple times. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

1. When is the best time to take the first practice test? (Before you start studying, so you can scare yourself? After doing a first pass of FA, maybe in March? At the beginning of the 5 week dedicated study period in April?)

3. I have both UWorld and Kaplan Qbanks and haven't used either yet. If I was to start doing practice questions now, is it a better idea to use UWorld multiple times, or to use Kaplan first and then use UWorld at the beginning of the 5 week study period?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered multiple times. Thanks for your help.

I would highly recommend doing Kaplan first with FA. Read a section of FA then do all the Kaplan questions then retread the FA section. Repeat. Save uworld for your study period closer to your exam.

Hey guys

1. Completely up to you but I'd wait until after at least one pass.
2. I would only take NBME's....there are plenty
3. No matter what get through uWorld at least twice.

1. Completely up to you but I'd wait until after at least one pass.
2. I would only take NBME's....there are plenty
3. No matter what get through uWorld at least twice.

Thank you! Which is the first NBME to take, and when should one take it? (before 1st pass of FA or after?)

Members don't see this ad :)
To get through Uworld twice, do you need to start before the 5 week study period?

You could probably do it n 5 weeks. You would have to do 3 question blocks per day, which wouldn't necessarily leave a ton of time to read other things during that 5 weeks (if that is your plan).

I do advise taking a day or half day off every once in awhile to prevent burn-out.