More than just an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragingbull126

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what else is out there in the medical/health profession aside from being a doctor? I was thinking about things like researching nanotechnology, genetics, etc. What other up and coming fields are there, and what education is required for them?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You could get an MD/Phd and do research in any of those fields. Also, pathologists do a lot of research in things like you mentioned. But, you can also do research in those things with a Phd without going to med school. So you have many options. Good luck.

For nanotechnology, an engineering degree is a good thing to have. Since its a relatively new field, theres not a real established path to take, but alot of people involved in this area have some knowledge of engineering principles along with biology, chemistry, etc.

CWRU offers a degree in genetics counseling which would allow you to work with patients. You could probably also do clinical research. I don't know if there are other programs out there. You can check out CWRU's program at: http://genetics.cwru.edu/gencouns.html