1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

More than just an MD?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ragingbull126, Jun 27, 2001.

1. ragingbull126

ragingbull126 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering what else is out there in the medical/health profession aside from being a doctor? I was thinking about things like researching nanotechnology, genetics, etc. What other up and coming fields are there, and what education is required for them?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You could get an MD/Phd and do research in any of those fields. Also, pathologists do a lot of research in things like you mentioned. But, you can also do research in those things with a Phd without going to med school. So you have many options. Good luck.

4. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

For nanotechnology, an engineering degree is a good thing to have. Since its a relatively new field, theres not a real established path to take, but alot of people involved in this area have some knowledge of engineering principles along with biology, chemistry, etc.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

CWRU offers a degree in genetics counseling which would allow you to work with patients. You could probably also do clinical research. I don't know if there are other programs out there. You can check out CWRU's program at: http://genetics.cwru.edu/gencouns.html