Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

More than just an MD?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ragingbull126, Jun 27, 2001.

1. ragingbull126

ragingbull126 Junior Member

I was wondering what else is out there in the medical/health profession aside from being a doctor? I was thinking about things like researching nanotechnology, genetics, etc. What other up and coming fields are there, and what education is required for them?

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    You could get an MD/Phd and do research in any of those fields. Also, pathologists do a lot of research in things like you mentioned. But, you can also do research in those things with a Phd without going to med school. So you have many options. Good luck.

4. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

For nanotechnology, an engineering degree is a good thing to have. Since its a relatively new field, theres not a real established path to take, but alot of people involved in this area have some knowledge of engineering principles along with biology, chemistry, etc.

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member

CWRU offers a degree in genetics counseling which would allow you to work with patients. You could probably also do clinical research. I don't know if there are other programs out there. You can check out CWRU's program at: http://genetics.cwru.edu/gencouns.html