More than one specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoopidboy54

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if its possible to do more than one specialty or if anyone has heard of that. I'm not saying I'm going to pursue two specialties (not at all), I havent even applied to dental school. But, I'm just wondering if there are people in the world that have more than one specialty. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm just wondering if its possible to do more than one specialty or if anyone has heard of that. I'm not saying I'm going to pursue two specialties (not at all), I havent even applied to dental school. But, I'm just wondering if there are people in the world that have more than one specialty. Thanks.

I'm sure there're people out there with multiple specialties mainly due to their change of interest. This wouldn't do you any good though considering the amount of time and cost incurred. You need to be aware that dentistry is quite a short-lived career.

I'm sure there're people out there with multiple specialties mainly due to their change of interest. This wouldn't do you any good though considering the amount of time and cost incurred. You need to be aware that dentistry is quite a short-lived career.

hahaha, dentistry is a short-lived career?? Most the dentists I know are planning on working til they're 65. One I know even is working right now at 67. Don't really understand why it would be a short-lived career?

Members don't see this ad :)

yep, I know a dentist who is a pros/ortho who went through each separately.

Yes, there are people who have 2 specialties. In the past there was a formal combined pedo/ortho program at UCLA and a perio/ortho program at UPenn. I don't know if they still exist. I have came across a few pedo/orthos, as well as oral path/ortho and endo/ortho.

I know of a couple dentists who finally retired from dentsitry at ages 79 and 80. There was a post one time here where someone knew a dentist who was I believe 84 who was still practicing.

the only duels that i know of are MD based after finishing a OMFS res...ex: OMFS and plastics, or OMFS and anesthesiology