More than three letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatsMyFlossify

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have four letters of rec. One from a dentist, two from science profs, and one from a non-science prof that spoke the world of me in my letter, I'm sure.

Many schools say "Send three letters of rec - 1 from a dentist and two from science professors". Would it hurt to send the fourth? Part of me thinks the request for three is a minimum requirement and part of me thinks they'll see my application and curse me for not reading the instructions. Before I go calling all twelve of my schools to see if this last teacher can brag on me, would schools look down if I sent four letters instead of three?

Thanks.

ThatsMyFlossify

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you. I even have a 5th letter from yet another science professor because a couple schools wanted 3 science. I get the feeling that most schools are fine with sending extras, but I would make sure they are okay with this before doing it. I know calling all 12 schools will be ridiculous, but it is better to do so if you're unsure. PM me, since I've already contact several schools and I might be able to just tell you what they told me.

Would it hurt to send the fourth? Part of me thinks the request for three is a minimum requirement and part of me thinks they'll see my application and curse me for not reading the instructions. Before I go calling all twelve of my schools to see if this last teacher can brag on me, would schools look down if I sent four letters instead of three?

No.