Morgellon's again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw a patient with this on family medicine. It was one of my favorite patient experiences on that rotation, which my preceptor thought was totally odd. I guess it fits with me now going into psych. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think this is "real" or psychosomatic?

I just saw a guy today who swore he had morgellons. He also knew that his restless leg syndrome was caused by the bacteria on his feet crawling up his legs at night while he slept and that his bipolar was caused by bacteria between his neurons. Whether morgellons really exists or not, it certainly is fodder for the delusional set. With proponents like these who needs critics? Oh, he also felt that he had a strong kinship with John the baptist because his skin bubbles when he puts it underwater...because of all the parasites. He also talked at length about how he attacked the last doctor who told him he was deluional. I was all smiles and nods of course. And I increased his lithium. He flat refused an antipsychotic.

I just saw a guy today who swore he had morgellons. He also knew that his restless leg syndrome was caused by the bacteria on his feet crawling up his legs at night while he slept and that his bipolar was caused by bacteria between his neurons. Whether morgellons really exists or not, it certainly is fodder for the delusional set. With proponents like these who needs critics? Oh, he also felt that he had a strong kinship with John the baptist because his skin bubbles when he puts it underwater...because of all the parasites. He also talked at length about how he attacked the last doctor who told him he was deluional. I was all smiles and nods of course. And I increased his lithium. He flat refused an antipsychotic.

Hey, wait a minute...
MY skin bubbles underwater!!! :eek:

I've been thinking about the skin bubbling underwater and I think that's just because you're a witch. I mean look at the wicked witch of the west. Her skin bubbled under the water like crazy. And kind of smoked. Hmm...or maybe she just had a severe case of Morgellon's disease? Ahhhh psychiatry! We get to explore the real mysteries of the universe!

Last edited: