• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Morgellon's again

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
CA
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I saw a patient with this on family medicine. It was one of my favorite patient experiences on that rotation, which my preceptor thought was totally odd. I guess it fits with me now going into psych. :)

About the Ads

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
    Moderator Emeritus
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 2, 2004
    Left of Center
    1. Attending Physician
      Any thoughts on this OPD? Have you seen any patients with Morgellon's?

Nope--definitiely NOT a personal interest of mine.
      Saw one frank delusional parasitosis when I was a med student, but he was BPAD w/psychosis AND uremic as well.

luft

PGY-3!!!
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 5, 2006
      1. Attending Physician
        I just saw a guy today who swore he had morgellons. He also knew that his restless leg syndrome was caused by the bacteria on his feet crawling up his legs at night while he slept and that his bipolar was caused by bacteria between his neurons. Whether morgellons really exists or not, it certainly is fodder for the delusional set. With proponents like these who needs critics? Oh, he also felt that he had a strong kinship with John the baptist because his skin bubbles when he puts it underwater...because of all the parasites. He also talked at length about how he attacked the last doctor who told him he was deluional. I was all smiles and nods of course. And I increased his lithium. He flat refused an antipsychotic.

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
        Moderator Emeritus
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Dec 2, 2004
        Left of Center
        1. Attending Physician
          I just saw a guy today who swore he had morgellons. He also knew that his restless leg syndrome was caused by the bacteria on his feet crawling up his legs at night while he slept and that his bipolar was caused by bacteria between his neurons. Whether morgellons really exists or not, it certainly is fodder for the delusional set. With proponents like these who needs critics? Oh, he also felt that he had a strong kinship with John the baptist because his skin bubbles when he puts it underwater...because of all the parasites. He also talked at length about how he attacked the last doctor who told him he was deluional. I was all smiles and nods of course. And I increased his lithium. He flat refused an antipsychotic.

Hey, wait a minute...
          MY skin bubbles underwater!!! :eek:

luft

PGY-3!!!
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 5, 2006
          1. Attending Physician
            I've been thinking about the skin bubbling underwater and I think that's just because you're a witch. I mean look at the wicked witch of the west. Her skin bubbled under the water like crazy. And kind of smoked. Hmm...or maybe she just had a severe case of Morgellon's disease? Ahhhh psychiatry! We get to explore the real mysteries of the universe!

Last edited:
            About the Ads
            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.