Mormon friendly Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gorrillaunit18

Hello all,
As you can probably tell from the title, I am indeed LDS. And since I'm applying to Medical Schools soon I was wondering which schools have a "mormon friendly" atmosphere.:D Thanks for the help!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

hello all,
as you can probably tell from the title, i am indeed lds. And since i'm applying to medical schools soon i was wondering which schools have a "mormon friendly" atmosphere.:hungover: thanks for the help!:hardy:

ucsf.

With an attitude like that, none of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by that question. Perhaps it's because I don't know what you might consider "Mormon Unfriendly". Could you clarify what you're asking?

Hello all,
As you can probably tell from the title, I am indeed LDS. And since I'm applying to Medical Schools soon I was wondering which schools have a "mormon friendly" atmosphere.:D Thanks for the help!:hardy:
If by Mormon you mean you're a devout Christian then I'd suppose any of the faith-based schools would be at the top of your list. I don't think too many people will hold it against you if your form of Christianity is different from theirs :D

As an aside: I have personally had people hide their children from my family when they found out my family is LDS. :laugh:

I think that you would do best to seek apply wherever you want and then when you start getting acceptances speak to the Mormon communities in the that area and choose the one you like best.

There were LDS applicants at pretty much every interview I went to last year. But what would be a "mormon unfriendly" school? Do you just mean super-duper conservative? I think you'll find people across the political or religious spectrum at any school.

I have actually run into this question before believe it or not. The school you want to look into is:

The Elohim Fundamentalist School of Medicine and Conservative Thought.

I think the actual motto is:

"We are Mormon Friendly, but that's as far as it goes."

lol @ someone named gorillaunit asking about mormon friendly schools.

Probably not a bad idea to ask on this forum for LDS students who may have had experiences in this area.

But my coworkers, co-interviewees in this process, and fellow students at the various institutions I've attended do not know my religious beliefs or lack thereof. I feel that this is personal, separate from my professional life, and does not have a place in the professional world; I would suggest being careful, and to NOT bring this up in an interview; legally it cannot even be asked as it is a discriminatory type question.

Bringing this up would be kind of like saying "I love Obama!!". 1/2 the people who hear this will agree, 1/2 will disagree, sharing this type of information can hurt you if you happen to interview with someone who has personal biases against your beliefs.

I'd think that in general there'd not be problems with "fitting in" to a med school class, as students generally will have diverse geographic, religious, educational, and experiential backgrounds.

I wasn't aware there were any Mormon unfriendly schools...unless of course there is some sort of super-secret underground anti-Mormon pact between adcoms at certain schools.

Mormon friendly schools are the ones where you look into a magical hat and use your seeing stones to decipher the knowledge needed to graduate from medical school. :rolleyes:

Mormon friendly schools are the ones where you look into a magical hat and use your seeing stones to decipher the knowledge needed to graduate from medical school. :rolleyes:

bashing people's personal religious beliefs over the internet = awesome.

I know that University of Utah does NOT care if you are mormon or not because they get so many mormon applicants. So even serving a mission would looik like nothing to them. HOwever, after talkig to some of my friends that have gone through interviews, they say that most schools are impressed by the strict high standards that we choose to live in such as living the honor code at BYU but other than that, there really is no advantage as far as being LDS and going to medical school.

But.. I HAVE heard from a non-LDS say that one of his interview questions were "Mormons make great doctors, what do you think about that?"

Yeah... it doesn't matter. Most any school you go to will be somewhat mormon-friendly, as most any school you go to will be somewhat friendly. I can't think of any school where this would be an issue. There are probably some that have larger mormon populations (U of Utah comes to mind), but it really won't matter. I'm at SLU (a Catholic school), and there is a LDS Student Association that meets pretty regularly.

i was told OSU admit a significant number of medical students from BYU. Their admission data on the web site seems to indicate this is true.

what beliefs do mormons hold that med schools would discriminate against them? also what policies would a med school have to have to make it mormon friendly?

i was told OSU admit a significant number of medical students from BYU. Their admission data on the web site seems to indicate this is true.

I'm not sure if you mean "Mormon friendly" in terms of acceptance, but yes, Ohio State does accept a fair amount of BYU students... more from BYU than any other school with the exception of their own undergrad students. Not sure why, but it is true: http://medicine.osu.edu/sitetool/sites/pdfs/medicinefuturestudentspublic/2007ProfileSheet.pdf

As far as the actual environment, I have no idea.

Hello all,

Except for the "Morman underwear", you look like everyone else and no one will know or care that you are Morman or just another medical student that doesn't drink coffee. I don't think that any school will care where you attend church as long as you are otherwise qualified for admission. Obviously U of Utah is your best bet.

I don't really have much to add, but it's nice knowing I'm not the only Mormon premed on SDN. (yeah, I don't have many posts, but I read alot.) I've heard the same thing about Ohio State. Creighton also. Alot of DO schools too. I might guess (only a guess) that U of Washington has alot, since they take a certain number of Idahoans (high LDS population) as in-staters. If anyone is wondering, I think when a Latter-day Saint on this forum asks about "Mormon friendly" schools, they might be talking alot about location. If there is a high LDS population, that provides alot of great social support etc. Ironic, since neither Nebraska nor Ohio have particularly high LDS populations.

Last edited: