Step I Morphine MOAs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ophthoseidon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a UWorld question wrong because I wasn't sure of the mechanism. I thought i remembered reading (or hearing) that morphine does affect VG sodium channels, so I picked that answer. I understand their explanation about the mu receptor pathway of potassium efflux, but I did a google search and it looks like morphine also affects VG slow sodium channels.

So wtf?

Also, only 29% of people got it right when 40% picked sodium so somethings gotta give
 
All opoids MOA is usually potassium efflux. That should be your go to answer.

Also, whenever you see a patient present with "weakness" or something related to that in the stem and they are asking about what ions are in play, think of potassium efflux. There is more than 1 World Q you can easily get a point on by knowing this.