Mortgage on Student loans?

Started by david594
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get a mortgage while in school? (and not having a working spouse)

Basically I am looking at purchasing a single family property in $130k range expecting that I could get 2 roommates and be able to cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance with their rent. The whole thing not seeming like a horrid idea since I know I will be living here for at least the next 3 years and could accumulate some equity in the process.

Of course I am a student though, so my income is only something like $8k a year currently. With savings I figure I could manage a 15% down payment on a place and have family members that could co-sign on the loan.

My assumption is that most banks would just laugh at me though. Anyone have any experience in a simliar situation?