Mosdoh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about MOSDOH? Have they enrolled their first class yet? Accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me about MOSDOH? Have they enrolled their first class yet? Accreditation?

From what I've read on these forums, they're a pretty solid dental school as they're essentially adopting everything from ASDOH and making it their own in Missouri. Their first class is starting this Fall but they're definitely not giving acceptances as fast as other schools. As far as accreditation, they've received initial accreditation which is good for a year I think before they need to get it renewed.

As for the location... It's in Kirksville MO, a really small town (~17,000 people) literally in the middle of nowhere. I think it's about 3 hours away from St. Louis or Kansas City, 4 hours from Chicago? There's not a whole lot in the surrounding areas.

I have mixed feelings about applying there. I used to live in St. Louis and loved it, but have never lived in a town that small. The only bonus would be that you're able to help people in that rural region that are in desperate need of dental care. You'd be doing a lot for the community by going to that school which is worth it within itself. Just watch out for tornadoes :oops:

Do you guys know the avg DAT/GPA stats that theyre looking for? I cant seem to find it. And I heard they look for applicants with a very large amount of volunteer hours, is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know the avg DAT/GPA stats that theyre looking for? I cant seem to find it. And I heard they look for applicants with a very large amount of volunteer hours, is this true?

Probably, but we won't know for sure until this class starts. They haven't received the accreditation they need for their class to start this fall. Until July, anyway. A snag in paperwork last summer delayed site visits and all that stuff that's involved in the process. I guess July is when the accreditation people meet again. So those accepted recently are 'preferred' status students: accepted as long as they receive accreditation. It's easy to say when it doesn't affect me, but I'm pretty sure it'll all be fine and they'll start in the fall.

It will be rural for the first two years. But the clinic will be in St. Louis. It's a partnership of sorts. I don't remember the details. So you will need to move down there after second year...unless you want a couple hours of commuting. And they'll do that same 4th year thing ASDOH does. Seems like a big mess, right? I think it's going to be solid as long as it patterns what ASDOH is doing. They're putting out graduates with strong skills and have high speciality placement. They've gotta be doing something right.

Anyway, I don't know much about it. I've just watched progress and read articles and some youtube videos from a couple of meetings to gather that info. Those recently 'accepted' in the school-specific forum could probably shed more light. Maybe.

I dont think the school accredited yet.

Wow, I would certainly not want to be in the preferred status folk's shoes! How anxious would you be not knowing until (almost) the last minute if the school you've chosen to attend is going to be accredited! Anyway, Jeffity said, everything will probably go well with accreditation. Even still, I'd be nervous.

On a different note, is anybody applying to MOSDOH this cycle? Reading the forums, it looks like last year they were quite late in notifying applicants of interviews and acceptances. Hopefully this year they'll have things running a bit smoother.

Wow, I would certainly not want to be in the preferred status folk's shoes! How anxious would you be not knowing until (almost) the last minute if the school you've chosen to attend is going to be accredited! Anyway, Jeffity said, everything will probably go well with accreditation. Even still, I'd be nervous.

On a different note, is anybody applying to MOSDOH this cycle? Reading the forums, it looks like last year they were quite late in notifying applicants of interviews and acceptances. Hopefully this year they'll have things running a bit smoother.

I was somewhat considering it b/c theyre OOS friendly and in a rural area but after reading this thread Ive decided not to.

So you've got re-applicants not sure about dropping a couple thousand to reapply while they wait for July. That does suck. No offense to current 'preferred' students, but I'd guess they either applied late, didn't apply to enough or wisely, or they needed to work on (improve) their application to reapply. I imagine very few are in worse shoes this cycle...unless they did absolutely nothing to improve their application if that was their issue last cycle. Others may just choose to reapply and might feel more comfortable at a more established, less rural school and skip the preferred status thing. They received around 1,000 applications last cycle, I believe. With how this cycle ran, I don't imagine them getting a ton of applications with that much uncertainty and lack of info besides that it's in buttsville and accreditation isn't final. In time, I'm thinking it'll be a good time. But whatever. I don't know why I even look into these things...especially with NBDE I 60 hours away.

So basically, if you're desperate or applying really broadly or have a less-than-stellar app (I just said the same thing three times), this might be a school to apply to this cycle. If I were applying, I'd probably go for it despite all this sketchiness just because I know what's going on over there at ASDOH.