ephesus32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

Can you explain why a is the most acidic hydrogen in this problem?? I thought it was b since its between a carboxy acid and alcohol. Thanks.

Attachments

Theillestill

hold the mustard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
because the hydrogen in A is the hydrogen involved in Carboxylic acid, and it's conjugate base is resonance stabilized, making it very very easily deprotonated.

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
because the hydrogen in A is the hydrogen involved in Carboxylic acid, and it's conjugate base is resonance stabilized, making it very very easily deprotonated.
Very tru. Another way to think of this is due to the electronegative nature of the oxygen causing them to posses a stronger hold over the electrons, think of them as "hogging" the electrons that they share with the hydrogen. therefore deprotonation will follow with ease.

About the Ads

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
This type of question is actually hard IMO, until you learn all the concepts of O-chem. You need to know how acidic each one is also.
You are thinking H-NMR...

dominican drums

Excited Pre-Dental Studnt
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
New York City
Status
Pre-Dental
The fact that the hydrogens in B are in between two functional group should alert you that this could not possilbly be the answer. Functional groups "function" ie they react easily, so those hydrogens will probably leave first.

Also, the carboxilic acid is a very reactive functioal group, and since its an acid, it will lose the hydrogen real easy.

ephesus32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys, I guess it's just something I have to memorize. But if you had a molecule such as :

CH3(C=O)CH2(C=O)CH3

, the middle hydrogens would be the most acidic right??

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Thanks guys, I guess it's just something I have to memorize. But if you had a molecule such as :

CH3(C=O)CH2(C=O)CH3

, the middle hydrogens would be the most acidic right??
Yes, but only due to the two carbonyls. These pull electrons very easily.
Probably pKa of about 16ish which could get deprotonated by OH-.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
Very tru. Another way to think of this is due to the electronegative nature of the oxygen causing them to posses a stronger hold over the electrons, think of them as "hogging" the electrons that they share with the hydrogen. therefore deprotonation will follow with ease.
shouldn't E be the answer too if oxygen was the main factor?

I have been thinking that the alpha hydrogen is most acidic.

Now I am thinking that alpha hydrogen can be the hydrogen in alpha carbon or alpha oxygen?

WOAHHI

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
I think this is because E is not the BEST answer. It is part of an OH group with the highly electronegative oxygen willing to give up the hydrogen easily, but the carboxylic acid OH is also resonance stabilized by the carbonyl group so this hydrogen (A) is given up even easier than hydrogen E.

About the Ads