Most common cause of this, most common cause of that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medman88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I ran across a problem while studying and was wondering if anybody had any insight. Multiple times I see that it says some bug or risk factor is one of the most common causes of a certain disease. For example one of the cards I just read said that S. Aureus is a common cause of osteomyelitis, but on the test they'd ask for what the MOST COMMON cause of osteomyelitis is. S. Aureus would of course be on there as well as a few other risk factors that I know cause osteomyelitis but I never know which is the top risk factor. I've heard that these type of facts are commonly tested. So was wondering if anybody had a good resource to bring everything together. It seems like a really easy type of question and would hurt to get something like this wrong.

My idea was that if nobody could come up with a comprehensive resource maybe we could start our own here?

Members don't see this ad.

So I ran across a problem while studying and was wondering if anybody had any insight. Multiple times I see that it says some bug or risk factor is one of the most common causes of a certain disease. For example one of the cards I just read said that S. Aureus is a common cause of osteomyelitis, but on the test they'd ask for what the MOST COMMON cause of osteomyelitis is. S. Aureus would of course be on there as well as a few other risk factors that I know cause osteomyelitis but I never know which is the top risk factor. I've heard that these type of facts are commonly tested. So was wondering if anybody had a good resource to bring everything together. It seems like a really easy type of question and would hurt to get something like this wrong.

My idea was that if nobody could come up with a comprehensive resource maybe we could start our own here?

Sorry but there's no "most common causes" book. It should be a part of any good review book though. I'm sure there are much better ways to waste your time than trying to make a new resource on an SDN thread of all places.

Sorry but there's no "most common causes" book. It should be a part of any good review book though. I'm sure there are much better ways to waste your time than trying to make a new resource on an SDN thread of all places.

I'm just saying it would be nice to compile a list of all of them as people come up on these facts. I do see this information here and there but it's all scattered. Not to mention that almost every experience about step 1 I read has questions about this, why not turn them into easy points instead of educated guesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just saying it would be nice to compile a list of all of them as people come up on these facts. I do see this information here and there but it's all scattered. Not to mention that almost every experience about step 1 I read has questions about this, why not turn them into easy points instead of educated guesses.

Sorry but most people ARE actually memorizing/learning most common causes of disease. I don't understand why you are finding that information hard to find. Maybe you are using poor books? Nobody should be making educated guesses on that stuff.

Last edited:
Possibly this?

51qsmV3mKgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or this

41mY1gcUQCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question. JackShephard, do you have Step Up to Medicine? Is that the book everyone talks about for IM rotation?

Sorry but most people ARE actually memorizing/learning most common causes of disease. I don't understand why you are finding that information hard to find. Maybe you are using poor books? Nobody should be making educated guesses on that stuff.

Then why do people mention so often that they weren't 100 % sure about these questions on their tests. Sure I know common stuff like S. pneumoniae is the leading cause of pneumonia in adults but there's stuff like whats the most important risk factor for certain cancers which I don't know and don't really know where to find.

The pages 196 - 198 are great for bugs is there anything similar for cancers and stuff?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question. JackShephard, do you have Step Up to Medicine? Is that the book everyone talks about for IM rotation?
Yes, that's the IM book. I forget if it was this book or the CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment book that is kind of like a condensed Harrison's.

Anyway, I'm buying Step Up to Medicine when it comes out in August. Looks like they do an edition every four years, so any M1 or M2 could buy Step Up now and it will be useful for the next few years. I tend to like to look things up occasionally when I want some depth (usually less than 20% of the material I study). So books like Big Robbins, Harrison's, and even Step Up to Medicine as an M2 appeal to me. I realize it won't gain any points on Step 1.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Then why do people mention so often that they weren't 100 % sure about these questions on their tests. Sure I know common stuff like S. pneumoniae is the leading cause of pneumonia in adults but there's stuff like whats the most important risk factor for certain cancers which I don't know and don't really know where to find.

The pages 196 - 198 are great for bugs is there anything similar for cancers and stuff?

Pathoma does a pretty good job of that. The pulmonary chapter discusses most common causes of certain lung cancers, the cardio chapter talks about most common causes of endocarditis, etc. Have you listened to Pathoma yet? If not, it might help. Good luck!

Yes, that's the IM book. I forget if it was this book or the CURRENT Medical Diagnosis and Treatment book that is kind of like a condensed Harrison's.

Anyway, I'm buying Step Up to Medicine when it comes out in August. Looks like they do an edition every four years, so any M1 or M2 could buy Step Up now and it will be useful for the next few years. I tend to like to look things up occasionally when I want some depth (usually less than 20% of the material I study). So books like Big Robbins, Harrison's, and even Step Up to Medicine as an M2 appeal to me. I realize it won't gain any points on Step 1.:thumbup:

Cool, thanks for the info! I'm up for anything that'll help me on wards.

Rapid Review Pathology is about as close as it gets to a compendium of most commons.

Pathoma does a pretty good job of that. The pulmonary chapter discusses most common causes of certain lung cancers, the cardio chapter talks about most common causes of endocarditis, etc. Have you listened to Pathoma yet? If not, it might help. Good luck!

I'm about to start Pathoma so I have no experience with it, but I'll def keep a look out for it.

Rapid Review Pathology is about as close as it gets to a compendium of most commons.

A people seem to have suggested it, I guess if I have time I'll look through it, it's such a big book that it would probably take too much time to just look through all of it. I'm hoping that maybe his 36 page review has lists like this.

A people seem to have suggested it, I guess if I have time I'll look through it, it's such a big book that it would probably take too much time to just look through all of it. I'm hoping that maybe his 36 page review has lists like this.

Not sure if this is crossing the line or not, but here is a link to a trascript of his audio lectures widely-circulated on the web. Granted, the guy who did the transcribing isn't very good, this should still contain the salient points and much of what you're looking for. You can probably skim this in a few hours:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13410303/Goljan-5-Days-125-Pgs

If this crosses a line, please feel free to delete it.

Edit: alternatively, you can search for "MCC" within that document. It'll instantly give you 212 high-yield most common causes.

Last edited: