most common major for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mozart_fan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who get BA or BS degrees before Pharmacy school, is Biology or Chemistry more common as a major? I know you can major in anything, though. I am a freshman now, I really like my Chemistry class, and also work in a pharmacy....

I am seriously considering majoring in Chemistry...i don't know if I'm phrasing this question right...but is pharmacy "more bio or more chem."

the thing about bio is...going down to the beach and other field trips to study fish, etc doesn't interest me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a easy life and want to enjoy your undergrad experience, major in psychology or physical education. Chemistry is just too much work. You have to take all these crappy classes and the competition is much greater in this major than psych or any other easy one. Studying fish is more fun than titrating shltz that are cancer-causing agents.

^^ hahah. um i actually enjoyed general chemistry and organic chemistry(somewhat). I was a chem major up till my third year. I had to take analytical chemistry + lab and advance o chem...thats when i knew i could not handle being a chem major anymore. I still had not taken P chem and from others who were chem majors as well said P chem was exxxxtremely hard. soo now i'm basically a bio major since i've taken most of the classes already.

chemistry has a lot of calculus based courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
check over in the pharmacy forum
there is currently a thread there with bachlors degrees listed

mozart_fan said:
For those who get BA or BS degrees before Pharmacy school, is Biology or Chemistry more common as a major? I know you can major in anything, though. I am a freshman now, I really like my Chemistry class, and also work in a pharmacy....

I am seriously considering majoring in Chemistry...i don't know if I'm phrasing this question right...but is pharmacy "more bio or more chem."

the thing about bio is...going down to the beach and other field trips to study fish, etc doesn't interest me.
I have a BS in Biology and think the Chem majors are better prepared for the medicinal chemistry and biochemistry in our curriuculum.